OkieJonesClan . .city slickers going rural . . lol

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sounds like youngest son had a great day! I think it's wonderful when they get so much joy out of the little things!

My dgd will be 11 soon - we're still waiting to hear what she wants for her birthday. All she asked from us for Christmas was a desk set for her "office" in her bedroom. It was left over from my corporate days so only cost me $2 for the new calendar.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to your 11 yo!!! Sounds like he got some awesome gifts!! And you got them at an awesome price so that makes them even more awesome gifts!

What seeds did you get today??

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
It's so great to get a great find at the thrift store or some other store! Happy Birthday to your 11 yo!

And congrats on the reduced workload! It is an awesome feeling to get to be at home with the kids! :ya

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, I haven't been on in quite a while. We haven't had internet in nearly 2 weeks, and to be honest I am a little sad that we have it back. We got so much done with out the temptation to turn the computer on! We changed providers and are saving $40 per month with the new provider.

This weekend we cut down around 2 dozen trees from the future garden area, I made a bunch of dish clothes. I also made my first batch of home made yogart with a Salton machine I bought for $2 on ebay. It worked! I am so thrilled. My oldest ds is not a fan of yogart and he had 3 servings. I was pretty happy with that.
I also joined a produce co-op locally. $35 every two weeks and we got loads of stuff. I have to go through it with my hubby to see if we think it is worth it, but from what was on the list, I think it is, at least until we get our garden and orchard producing for us.

I am at work, so I have to get back to work, but excited to be back on the site atleast :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$40 a month is a huge savings! great deal!

yea enjoy the computer more in the winter time like all us farmers do...cause come spring....we will all be outside doing our thing..LOL

I know what you mean though. Cold outside, no plantings, no work really, etc. and we sit inside and type. But we are learning great info while here....but soon I know for me the outside calls and computer time will be limited.

You sure got alot of things accomplished!!!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
$40 a month is a huge savings! great deal!

yea enjoy the computer more in the winter time like all us farmers do...cause come spring....we will all be outside doing our thing..LOL

I know what you mean though. Cold outside, no plantings, no work really, etc. and we sit inside and type. But we are learning great info while here....but soon I know for me the outside calls and computer time will be limited.

You sure got alot of things accomplished!!!
I know I am!! ;) :lol:

OkieJ that is great!! We downgraded our "entertainment package" last fall too, and saved a good deal of money. It sure feels good to cut something out that we didn't need, and still be able to keep things that we enjoy.

Glad you got your internet back. You were missed :)

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am so glad to be on here learning again! I have spring fever so bad! Today I took my homemade yogart and added fresh strawberries and local honey. It turned out so nicely. I have a friend who makes her own yogart and has for several years and now I know why, it is cheaper and tastes great and there is just something about making something yourself. It feels so great! :love especially when it actually turns out. ;)
We had so much to do with schooling today that I was happy to have added the strawberries to the yogart.

Off to explore the site before I have to get to work :D

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, long time no post! Sorry, I have been crazy busy. I have been crocheting dishclothes at work while people are downloading or installing software to kill the time. I have been getting about 3 a day done. I should try to sell them.

We ordered our baby chicks this week! My kids are sooooo excited and my mom is grossed out, lol We are getting 1 roo 12 hens and a "mystery" chick thrown is as bonus. We ordered from a hatchery with a friend to make the min. of 25. Our chicks will arrive the begining of the week of March 16. We have designed our coop and hope to start building by the end of the month. It should be interesting as we have never built anything other than a fort for the kids before. I will try to post pics of the adventure when we start. :lol:

We finally have all the trees cut down for the garden area and most of them are moved out of the area, now we just have to cut them up. My younger DS counted 24 tree stumps, not sure if that is accurate or not, but it should be in the ballpark.

Well it is about time to head home. My folks have the kids tonight - wonder if I will get to sleep in with no little one coming in to let me tell me "Momma the sky is blue" :D

Have a blessed and productive weekend, everyone!

Ang

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a great day! Not a huge ss day, per say, but great none the less. We have friends that we ordered chicks with - we went to their home today to help build their fence around their mini-orchard and chicken area - and talked with them about coop ideas and what we can share. They are starting bee keeping this spring and we want to raise rabits for meat as well as chickens and hopefully goats for milk. They planted fruit trees in their mini orchard and we are planting nut trees this fall. We are also co-ordinating our gardens - we will plant things they don't. The plan here is that we share with each other the results. I am so excited about it. We have a juicer and they have a mill and we are sharing those as well. I am thinking this is a great step forward towards the ss goal.

We also started investigating solar panels. They sure are expensive up front, just like the wood stove we are going to put in, but wow the savings over the long haul is just great - and it reduces our dependency on the electric and gas companies.

Anywho . . that has been my day. Brainstorming and helping another family to get ready for chickens.

Happy Valentines day, everyone.

Angela

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It sounds so wonderful, to have friends like that! We should all be so blessed! :love

I wish I had neighbors like that....all the people I know here think I'm some weird woman for wanting bees, sheep, chickens and a huge garden. I think the women are afraid their husbands will see a woman actually outside working and expect them to do the same thing! :lol: :lol: