Okra??

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fry mine, and put it in soups. I don't like it boiled. And yes on the cutting every day...I'm gonna have lots of seed :D
The seeds from those big ones are actually pretty good in chicken or turkey soup, they get soft after boiling a while and of course all things go in a big old huge pot of Brunswick stew :) Brunswick stew <--- what was that I just eat? Who cares! it's good!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even think I've ever seen it in the grocery store! My husband said he tried jt once and didn't like it, but his mom made it and she's... Not a great cook. Honestly, I had to look it up to see what it even looked like. Okra ignorant northerner here, lol!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kind of green bean, kind of asparagus, very unique flavor..hard to describe...if it's fried till it's not slimy it's really good. I like mine a little crunchy.

Me too - i like it coated in yellow cornmeal and fried to just a little bit crunchy. No need to make a batter using egg - plenty of slime in okra already to soak up the cornmeal.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't even think I've ever seen it in the grocery store! My husband said he tried jt once and didn't like it, but his mom made it and she's... Not a great cook. Honestly, I had to look it up to see what it even looked like. Okra ignorant northerner here, lol!

I guess it's like a southern thing... I know for sure when I cross the mason dixon line when I order sweet tea and the waitress comes back with a glass of tea and packets of sugar and tells me I need to make my own sweet :( It just ain't the same as putting sugar & water & tea bags in a big glass container and setting it out in the sun until done...

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My MIL always canned okra and this was the best okra after she canned it. She did her summer squash the same way. It is not USDA safe recommendations though. Frozen could never hold a candle to the fresh taste of hers.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is definitely a Southern thang. My gramma (from MO Ozarks), could make cornbread and beans, was actually a great cook, but they have NO idea how to cook/steam rice. Okra was just a curiosity. Grits, same thing. Up that way, it was all meat and potatoes and UN-sweet tea. I remember being a little tyke, like 4 years old, downing glasses of un-sweet tea. Here, in SC, one must request "Un-Sweet Tea". The sweet tea here, can choke a horse. :th

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It's a tropical plant, so it doesn't grow up North. We got the best stuff down here in the South ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ha! Yes no sweet tea here either! I don't think I've ever had sweet tea in the southern sense. I'm not very cultured I suppose, lol. DH went to high school in Georgia so he's had more of a taste of southern life than me!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hey now, I gots to have my sweet tea, but half and half...I can't handle it too sweet either.