Okra??

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah loves me sum okra!!!!

Me too! May sound strange but I find myself craving okra in the winter. We dice, corn meal, and load into quart sized baggies and freeze. So fried okra is not very far away in the winter :)

Of course we ran out last winter - so this first few was a real treat. It went straight from the garden to the kitchen and into the frypan - fresh is fresh and it don't get much fresher than that.

Now that the first few have been picked it's gonna need to be picked every day starting tomorrow and until the first frost in mid October.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oldest DD loves okra pickled most of all. We all like it that way but she would literally not eat anything else if there was okra on the table.

I like a few sliced really thin and used in fried rice.

Of course we love fried okra. I sometimes will chop up summer squash, onions and green tomatoes and fry up with the okra when I don't have enough of any one thing to cook alone.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For those who are not lucky enough to have this in their yards, here are some pictures of okra flowering and some pods on the plants:

Attachments

• IMG_20170808_114431.jpg
    IMG_20170808_114431.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_20170808_114454.jpg
    IMG_20170808_114454.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 170

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oldest DD loves okra pickled most of all. We all like it that way but she would literally not eat anything else if there was okra on the table.

I like a few sliced really thin and used in fried rice.

Of course we love fried okra. I sometimes will chop up summer squash, onions and green tomatoes and fry up with the okra when I don't have enough of any one thing to cook alone.

When I lived in NC there was some kind of stewed tomato & orka that the had at buffet style restaurants. I have no idea what it was called but I made sure to get me a couple big spoons full every time I seen it in the buffett.

Any idea what the dish was called? Maybe by chance a good recipe? It went really well over white rice.

Edit: Found it it's call stewed Okra and Tomatoes (I'm gonna surprise my wife and make some tomorrow) :) --->
https://www.google.com/amp/www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/patrick-and-gina-neely/stewed-okra-and-tomatoes-recipe-1940585.amp

If it turns out good I may just ask her to pressure can a bunch that I make for winter.

Last edited:

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my...Stewed Okra. My new favorite....as well as seafood gumbo. But stewed okra?...a delish summer dish. And I am a city slicker. Okra was an oddity where I was raised. But I ended up living down South now for 24 years, and have grown to love some of these traditional Southern foods. :drool

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes stewed okra is good because the acidity of tomatoes counteracts the sliminess factor.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i just dehydrated some last night. funny, a whole giant bowl fills a pint sized jar now