Okra??

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm another okra fan! YUM! But you do need to stay on top of it. It only takes 4 days from flowering to picking. Once the pods get over about 3 1/2 inches long, they're about too big. And if you're out picking, you need a sharp knife and hopefully long sleeves and gloves because the plants can really irritate the skin. We've had all we want with only 6 plants (but I wasn't trying to freeze any this year). If you keep up with them, they'll keep producing for months. My chickens enjoy the ones that get too big. I love them in gumbo, and if course, fried. Fried okra is a great finger food. If you haven't tried them before, then I'd make sure you let a southern cook introduce them to you the first time when they're done wrong, they're really truly awful. :)

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
In case you haven't seen okra pods before, here are some with some peppers I picked... I was in Memphis yesterday, and had to have my okra "fix" so I had gumbo with a side if fried okra. Sooo good!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh my...Stewed Okra. My new favorite....as well as seafood gumbo. But stewed okra?...a delish summer dish. And I am a city slicker. Okra was an oddity where I was raised. But I ended up living down South now for 24 years, and have grown to love some of these traditional Southern foods. :drool

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes stewed okra is good because the acidity of tomatoes counteracts the sliminess factor.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i just dehydrated some last night. funny, a whole giant bowl fills a pint sized jar now

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You dehydrated stewed okra & tomatoes? You da.man... I can taste it now sitting around the came fire rehydrated with some tasty spring water.

na, just okra. the wife canned all the tomatoes

Latest posts