Okra??

Ellie Mae

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have canned lots of my okra bt i still have so much!! What is the best way to freeze it?? Should i blanch it first? Keep it whole or cut it up?

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It is definitely a Southern thang. My gramma (from MO Ozarks), could make cornbread and beans, was actually a great cook, but they have NO idea how to cook/steam rice. Okra was just a curiosity. Grits, same thing. Up that way, it was all meat and potatoes and UN-sweet tea. I remember being a little tyke, like 4 years old, downing glasses of un-sweet tea. Here, in SC, one must request "Un-Sweet Tea". The sweet tea here, can choke a horse. :th

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made the stewed okra & tomatoes tonight. I used one of my fresh off the vine third generation beefsteaks about 1 lb and fresh cut okra and two white garden onions also the eft over butternut squash from last night's dinner.

So good... My wife looked at me and asked "will you make a big pot of this to can for winter? I can just imagine how good it will taste on a cold winter night" I said to her - does a bear crap in the woods?

IMG_20170811_183457348.jpg

IMG_20170811_191130821.jpg

IMG_20170811_193541025.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cut mine up, spread it on cookie sheets and blanch in the oven. I set it on 350* and put them in for about 10 minutes. Then I package them in ziplock bags and freeze. The okra is super slimy when it thaws out and it makes the cornmeal stick even better than fresh cut okra. It makes the best fried okra!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What does okra even taste like? Pardon my ignorance but I don't think I could find it here if I tried!

Wow you never tried okra??? Congrats I don't believe I ever met someone who has never tried okra before but I don't get out much either -:lol

Wannabefree is so right... But I would like to add. If your gonna try it for the first time don't try that snotty whole frozen stuff you can get at the grocery store - unless your gonna toss it in a soup to thicken it up. If you try it alone you may just get turned off because it can be mighty nasty even to a guy who really likes okra - like me.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you guys can't even get frozen fried okra at the store? can they order it for you?

is there a Popeyes chicken near by? Any kind of Cajun cuisine restaurant near?

can you mail order pickled okra?

you gotta get some! and put some dang sugar in your tea. one cup per gallon while it's still hot. :D

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Put it on a baking sheet, sprinkle with cumin, a little chili powder, and lots of salt and pepper and bake it - or grill it. Even the semi-tough ones turn out tender and it's sooooooooooooo good! Of course, fried is pretty stinkin' good too! My favorite - is dehydrated!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we need a dehydrator. there are so many vegetables we could be dehydrating and using in soups. I'd love to have 40 Mylar bags full of dehydrated soup greens.