Onions

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Horray I sowed two flats of onions on the first new moon of the year Jan 6 :)

Fun fact... "At the new moon, lunar gravity pulls water up, and causes seeds to swell faster.

My poor seedling shelf is looking patetic with only two flats started.
IMG_20190105_241726714_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I like to shop in the Baker Seed catalog and then see if I can find cheaper seeds of the same variety. Right now I'm looking on the
https://mypatriotsupply.com/collections/50-off-heirloom-seeds/products/organic-sunray-tomato-seeds
website and see that they have some seeds for .39cents a package. I dunno if they are comparable in the amount of seeds in the pack cuz I'm just starting the comparison.

I'm looking in the 50% off section.
They have a 75% off section. I just ordered a bunch of seeds.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I looked & want a few -- in case -- then, $7.95 shipping just doubled the order :( so I put it on "hold" until I go look at store prices today, to make me feel better about it. :D I'm sure it will still be a good deal, may add more of some which won't up the ship cost. THEN I will be storing more :th

ENABLERS!!!! :he

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Soooo -- here's a tip

This morning I have an email from them, since I didn't complete the buy, they sent me a code for 10% off the order:D

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Too late for me. :heWill try to remember that next time. :fl

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just starting to pop up, still in the loop phase. I'll cut them loose in a couple of days and stick them on the bottom shelf where it's cooler when I have a plant in every cell
IMG_20190110_215738298_HDR.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My seeds from Patriot should be here tomorrow or Sat, I suspect. I did pick up another pack of different at a Habitat discount. ALSO -- strawberry & asparagus seed. I want an asparagus bed and not the cost of plants, so going the cheap route, maybe. :) If the sprout, I'll transplant in summer. If not, hey, I lost 15 cent. The berries are all summer bearing, like wild ones...they should do fine & were just a "why not?". The other 34 packs of seed..:hide

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My seeds from Patriot should be here tomorrow or Sat, I suspect. I did pick up another pack of different at a Habitat discount. ALSO -- strawberry & asparagus seed. I want an asparagus bed and not the cost of plants, so going the cheap route, maybe. :) If the sprout, I'll transplant in summer. If not, hey, I lost 15 cent. The berries are all summer bearing, like wild ones...they should do fine & were just a "why not?". The other 34 packs of seed..:hide

I did that but in 3 4x8 foot raised beds with sprouts at my in-laws because my mother and father in law wanted asparagus.
My father in law complained and couldn't stand the ferns all summer long. He said they were weeds. Granted there were a few weeds in there but we dug out a good 2 feet of clay and replaced it with cow and horse compost and wheel barrows of black top soil. All that work and year three he decided enough was enough. Without saying a wordwro anyone he pulled up the raised beds, burned the cedar that I made them out of. Leveled off the soil and mowed it with the rest of his yard. I was so upset... But I didn't say a word... He has alzheimers and it's just not worth it.

my mother in law appoligized to me, because she didn't know until he already destroyed the beds. I just laughed, i mean there are better things to get angry over. I did put a lot of work and expense into that project, only to see it destroyed in a matter of an hour. Oh well such is life...

I did however learn my lesson. My mother in law wanted me to put a board walk in from the house to the garage shop which is a good 350 foot. I mean I have a sawmill so I could do it on the cheap, if I could find enough cedar trees.

But I had to say no, because I'm almost certain my father in law would not like it and tear it up shortly after i would have laid it down. He has a obsession with his lawn, he keeps it looking like a golf course. With no hobbies and being retired with alzheimers it's about all he has to do during the summer. He mowes like every other day. I didn't come right out and say no though... I told her snakes love to hide under board walks because I know she is deadly afraid of snakes :) (I didn't lie - it's true that snakes.hide under board walks).

Besides my mother in law might, go out to the garage/shop a few times a year. So is it really something you need or is it something you seen in a magazine or on TV that you liked and decided your son in law could build it for you?

Last edited: