Onions

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FYI... I'm experincing horrible germination rates with Baker Creek ailsa craig onion seeds. Out of the two flats I sowed I'll be lucky to have one flat. I'm not looking forward to translanting these little onion seedlings into 1 flat and resowing another one :( but it is what it is.

This is the first time ordering onion seeds from Baker creek, I usually order from Johnny's. Johnny's prints the germination rate on the back of the package. Baker creek is void of this information, so I was flying blind to begin with.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well yeah, but they may be unaware of the problem. If you let them know, it gives them a chance to correct the problem for you and for future seed buyers as well.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They can be slow to germinate, I hear. Maybe hope for a few more days.

I'm sorry about the FIL & asparagus beds. They do take a couple of years to establish but, then they are good for a while. Unless my goats find them :hide

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would fire off a complaint, anyway.

I would be inclined to do the same. Accept crap, continue to receive crap. But, sometimes, the time spent complaining is simply not worth it. One area I won't abide crap: chicken feed. If it's not fresh, or the birds won't eat it, back it goes. I always check the mill date, goal: not feed anything older than 6 weeks.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After resowing and transplanting I finally got two flats or 144 onion seedlings growing. I've never had such poor germination rates with onions before as i had with Baker creek alissa craig seeds. But I was able to over come it, thankfully.
IMG_20190129_095154994_HDR.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How old was the seed? Allium seed is notorious for having a short shelf life.

Doesn't say how old. Nor is there a germination rate like with Johnny's onion seeds. I'm having poor germination rates with Baker creek cabbage, brussels, califlower also but their broccoli came up good and strong. This is my first time ordering from Baker Creek, I think I'll stick to Victory and Johnny's next year.
IMG_20190129_104243401.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you like Johnny's. You're gonna love Fedco. Fedco prices are a fraction of what I consider to be exorbitant prices of Johnny's. Fedco also carries many more OP varieties. I enjoy sitting down and looking at Johnny's catalog. Pretty pics, and lots of useful information there. But, I'll put my money with FEDCO almost exclusively. Johnny's does not vocalize commitment to OSSI and non GMO the way Fedco does.

If you are experiencing poor germination with Baker compared to other seed companies you've tried, you should let them know. Keep accepting crap, that's what these companies will continue to send out.

Latest posts