Online guide to plants edible to animals

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I went and looked at that actual list you're talking about, and they actually SAY " Corn plant (Dracaena fragrans massangeana)". So, yes indeed, it's the houseplant.

Corn, the thing we eat on the cob, is Zea mays.

It is always important to look up the latin name on anything you are not sure you recognize when it's mentioned, b/c you may well know it by a different common name. Google is good, these days.

Pat

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I looked at various guides yesterday until I had a headache and only managed to identify two weeds on the place. Both are not edible! One is on my state's list of noxious weeds! And I realize my dandelions are not the real deal, it is cow thistle. Our property is dense forest, but was logged about 17 years ago. So lots of opportunistic trees and weeds took hold. Alder, big leaf maple and dense prickly brush predominates and a lot of blackberry.

Pat, are you familiar with what they call salmon berry or bear berries? I have a lot of that plant too. Both chickens and goats relish it and I was pretty confident about feeding some to the rabbits. But I wonder about in the wilting state. It looks similar to a rasberry but bright salmon colored and not very tasty, real bland. Right now it is dormant or I'd try to post a picture. I have literally an acre of this stuff and was wondering about drying it. I also have lots and lots and lots of nettles. Both of these plants have their own natural deterents however so I was hoping to find some that are less likely to hurt me when I harvest them!

Whenever I observe the wild bunnies here, they are sneaking out to get at the clover in our lawn.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well that was helpful, thanks.

Through a link from there I found my plants, they are salmonberry and even commonly grow under red alder. Hah! I have literally 1,000 red alder here. I wanted to laugh when I read that.

But the plant is:
Rubus spectabilis Pursh
salmonberry

It is prickly but not so bad as blackberries although older stands get pretty thorny. My goats have been doing a great job of clearing this out for me as we would like most of it gone! But it would be nice if the rabbits could eat it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Blackberry leaves are medicinal for rabbits as they will help stop diarrhea. Willow is another medicinal plant-the inner white layer of bark, the cambium layer is where aspirin originates. If you don't have willow growing on your land, just put a willow stick in the ground and water it, it will grow. Willow also makes an awesome rooting medium, cut up tender ends of the branches, soak in water and use to root cuttings of other plants.