treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So we're going to plant some apple trees this fall. I'm thinking of getting bare root if I can, going to try 2 different places in the paddock and see how it goes. Everything is an experiment these starter years on the farm. There are no fruit trees here currently so we'll be establishing everything ourselves. (I hope the reason there are no fruit trees isn't because they won't grow!)

We just had two frost nights, but it should be mild for the next couple weeks so I think now is the perfect time.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a couple of old apple trees that have been neglected, to the point where we aren't getting much in the way of apples anymore. I need to do some research and set up a plan of attack; probably a 3-year approach.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
There are so many apple trees all over here, from crab apples to cooking apples. I decided to do something different and plant a cherry tree :) I need to clear the space for it first and then go find one, but it's on the to-do list.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wish we could grow cherry trees here! We do well with citrus in this climate. My neighbor has two young apple trees, but so far, they've set some fruit but it drops. Maybe there is a variety that will do well here - I need to keep searching.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is something I miss terribly from S.A. We were able to grow so many things and we did! We had paw-paws, citrus trees, avocado trees, later fig trees, apricots, the neighbours had mangoes and litchis… So many things I either cannot find here now, or pay dearly for, because the climate doesn't suit it.