baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will not have another hairy house dog. We have Parker, black Lab/Great Dane still in the house. But when he is gone, I probably will not get another house dog. Our Australian Shepherd, Polly, died a few months ago. It hurt, we grieved, but I don't miss the fine fuzz that floated in the air. We were offered another Aussie that needed a home, but we found someone to give her to, just couldn't sing up for another hairy house. I cleaned up wads of wispy hair every day. Parker sheds, but it is short black hair, easy to clean up, but it still has to be cleaned up.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've told my husband I don't want another house dog also. Of course Clara is only 3 so we'll have her for a while yet!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I do too. My problem isn't so much the dog hair, it's that as the kids get older there are a lot of daytime activities and classes and I feel bad leaving house dogs home alone a lot. Plus Clara has such bad separation anxiety she's made things less fun!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The best house dog we ever had was a mini-weiner dog. I know she shed hair, but I could never find it.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I won't keep a dog inside my house, ever. I grew up with dogs outside only and was quite horrified seeing the condition of some people's houses, from keeping their dogs inside. Not all are messy, but the ones I've seen that was bad, was pretty bad! I was thinking of adopting a dog in the new year from a local shelter, but saw on their website they adopt them out for keeping in the house only. Not going to work for me!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've had a part-time house dog before. But, I don't allow dogs on my furniture or beds or even in the kitchen. Gracie came in while she was in heat - wearing a pair of training pants with a pad, lol. Had to keep her away from Cowboy!

If I lived where the weather was really harsh I'd have to reconsider. Previously I would let Gracie into the breezeway during bad weather - but that's now mom/dad's bedroom so she's been evicted. Poor Gracie...

My daughter has two house dogs and one of them gets on the beds. I was staying at her place for a visit when she walked me to my room...stoopid dog was laying on the pillows on the bed...argh. I politely asked for different pillows and/or new pillow covers. She gave me this strange look and asked why. I told her I simply would not lay my head where the dogs arse had been - YUCK!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dogs sleep with me when DH is at work overnight. I keep my pillow away from them though, and have an extra blanket on top of the bed that protects my good blanket lol!

They think the couch and chairs are theirs also. They're brats.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They definitely make good bed warmers. When I was a child I loved to sleep outside in the fenced back yard. Sometimes in a tent, and sometimes just under the stars...and I'd always have a dog or two to keep me warm!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I won't keep a dog inside my house, ever. I grew up with dogs outside only and was quite horrified seeing the condition of some people's houses, from keeping their dogs inside. Not all are messy, but the ones I've seen that was bad, was pretty bad! I was thinking of adopting a dog in the new year from a local shelter, but saw on their website they adopt them out for keeping in the house only. Not going to work for me!

That's what our local humane society shelter does too...one has to sign a contract stating they will keep the animals inside, which is just ridiculous. It's an awful habitat for the animal and an awful habitat for the human when they both have to share living quarters inside a home, so many will not get a shelter animal because of it all. Then they whine about the shelters being crowded and no one adopting an animal.

I'm wondering what those people would feel about a zoo where all the animals had to live indoors, only going outside to pee or poop, the big cats couldn't go out at all but could use a huge litter pan instead.