1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Container Grown Potatoes?- Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Organizing and decluttering the homestead

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by Beekissed, May 29, 2017.

1. Jan 25, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

@milkmansdaughter it may take you awhile, but when you finally have it all cleaned up, the fenceline cleaned and you put up a fence that says THIS PROPERTY IS OURS, you will be so proud! Every bottle, every can, every piece of trash picked up is a victory unto itself. :thumbsup

2. Jan 25, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I agree. I've helped clean up more than a few farm dumps and the satisfaction of getting all of that off the land is immense.

We have our own little dump out of sight, out in the wood,s that we utilize to store things that should go to the dump but we may dip into at any given time to repurpose or scrap together a new thing. You know the kind...broken and old lawn mowers, weedeaters, odds and ends of scrap metal, old garden hoses, paint cans, tires, etc.

Mom has decided it's grown enough and that this year will be the year to finally haul it all to the dump~will likely fill the truck and the trailer and only take one trip. I'm sure I'll find a few things I don't want to part with because we may need it "some day"...I'll have to restrain myself. We'll get it all cleaned up and hauled off before garden season.

Then it's likely we'll start a new depository. :D

baymule and sumi like this.
  3. Jan 25, 2018
    treerooted

treerooted Almost Self-Reliant

There are several depositories around here (not of our making), but around the house they're mostly well organized. I'd like to get the scrap wood pile a bit more organized but that's not a priority.
    There's a big one at the treeline - it's a mystery pile I have not explored yet. Mostly twisted holely metal and broken glass by the looks of it.

sumi and Beekissed like this.
  4. Jan 26, 2018
    tortoise

tortoise Wild Hare

I finally made a bit of progress here. I purged and organized my sewing stash. It's 2 filing cabinets stack one atop the other. I file my fabric over hanging folders. I have a friend who is into crazy quilts and art quilting. I gave her scraps from old projects I'd rather not be reminded of and cut down my excess useless stash. I just kept fabric I might actually use. There's still a lot of it! :)

sumi, treerooted, Beekissed and 3 others like this.
  5. Jan 26, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

What an excellent way to store fabric! I would never have thought of that, but it would sure keep the dust and any sun damage from happening, while also keeping it neatly organized.

Though I never have enough fabric for that, it's something to "file away" in my brain case for other unconventional things one could file into a file cabinet.

6. Apr 20, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

You are so lucky to have this copper kettle.

101_0542.JPG

Beekissed likes this.
  7. Apr 20, 2018
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I know! It was passed down from my paternal grandmother and she had gotten it from her mother. None of grandma's girls had any interest in it or using it, but Mom did, so it got passed down to us.

I like it because it's not too large, not too small, but just right. I've even used it for scalding chickens prior to plucking them. Comes in handy.

milkmansdaughter and baymule like this.
  8. Apr 21, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Almost Self-Reliant

Don't ever let anyone talk you.out of it..it's one of the good ones, made when they cared about making stuff to last.