Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For some reason my mother and I have always been in the mindset of, when going on a trip of more than a day's time, that we try to leave the house well ordered, our personal possessions orderly, cleaned, washed, and put away, etc.

My mother says she does this so she feels good about coming home to a clean place. I think that is indeed part of it for me, as coming home feels so good after traveling so far and sleeping in strange places, but coming home to a clean slate is even better! And I think we both know that family knows where the house key is at and can come and go at will when we are gone, so we don't like the house to look messy if they should come here.

The other part, for me, is knowing that any given time one travels extensively on the road, there may always be a time they don't come back, be it permanently or for a length of time, due to the increase in the chance of traffic accidents and fatalities. If this should happen, not only are those left behind having to deal with the aftermath of what to do with our own bodies, the vehicle, etc, but then are left with having to sort through our things for personal items regarding our burial or extended medical care.

Then they also may be presented with sorting out all that mess when we are dead and gone....I don't want to add to their stress by leaving things a total wreck, dust over all everything, papers hard to find, possessions dirty and hard to dispose of without first cleaning them.

So, having said all of that to only say this, the day before we leave on our bi-monthly travels is usually spent putting things to right: doing up any laundry, putting away the laundry, cleaning the bathrooms, sweeping floors, Mom doesn't do this but I usually wash my bed linens and blankets so I'll have a fresh smelling bed to come home to or if anyone needs to sleep in my bed while I'm away, cleaning out old food from the fridges, emptying trash receptacles, neatening up work spaces outside and in.

That's what I've been doing today. By the end of the day, I'll have a clean room, clean clothing all put away, clean bathroom, my bags will be packed and ready for the trip and other things needed may already be loaded in the car. When we have the time we usually clean the windshield of the car, put in a new trash bag there, clean up anything in the car that isn't supposed to be there and generally brushing any debris off the floor mats or carpeting, as well as checking fluid levels.

I know to a lot of people in this present age, that all seems very fussy and OCD behavior, but back in the day it was a natural thing to do to leave your home in order when traveling. It's also a neat way to sort of force one to take the time to do those things that get shuffled to one side in the busyness of our lives.

Finishing up the last of the laundry~my winter coat and my two work/barn coats from the mud room/pantry. They really needed a wash! Having them clean and hung in the closet, ready for use will be nice...last year I didn't get around to doing that and they hung there all summer, getting musty and moldy smelling by absorbing all the humidity.
ICK.gif

I tend to forget about those coats until I need them, then I find how dirty or smelly they really are, always resolving to give them a wash when I get back in the house but never seeming to follow through.

The lint trap should be real interesting from that load.....
rolleye0014.gif
LOL_.gif
Zip ties, screws, flotsam and jetsam of work dirt and stuff jammed into pockets.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to have a nice clean house to come home to. The Wildbunch think it's stupid that I make them get their rooms straighten before we leave. A clean home just gives you such peace. It's harder to do it with a house full of boys but I am determined. I don't think it's OCD to want a clean home.

Right now I'm going through our closets and drawers and what is not used or will wear is going to our church for someone who can appreciate what we don't or can't. SIL says he is bringing the grands outgrown clothes for the church too. We offer the community the chance to come shop for free monthly. Last month over a 1000 articles of clothing was passed on to people and many household items, toys and shoes. Really to much to imagine.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I dropped off three more brown paper grocery bags stuffed full at Goodwill. (Where does the stuff even come from?! :eek: )

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Agree on the reasons for having things cleaned up prior to a trip. Doesn't always work out

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I try and I try....but usually I'm so busy forgetting things to get packed that I can't get anything clean... ugh.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It was nice to come home to a clean house and, here in a bit, I'm going to take a shower and slide in between some cool, clean smelling sheets! Bliss! :weee

Been a long day on the road. :caf That's one reason it's just heavenly to come home to a quiet, serene place and just download the day's miles.