Organizing Canning Lids/Caps/Rings

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am really a hoarder when it comes to jars and lids. However, now that I realize I should remove rings before storing canned goods- I understand that I don't need 6 million rings!! You really just keep using the same few over and over.... We purchase pretzels from BJ's Wholesale Club, that come in giant plastic jars. I store the rings in them. One for regular and one for wide mouth.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we bought this house I commented, in the hearing of the seller, on the wide strong shelves in the garage with canning jars. He asked if I wanted them, as his wife didn't can anymore, and I, of course, said yes, please! Along with numerous dozen jars I found, when we made the move into the house, a large cardboard box filled with rings, reg. and wide mouth. Just about every one was rusted to the point of not being usable. I had to buy a couple of packs of rings, though I had plenty of jars, and several dozen flat lids. That was a good lesson about cardboard boxes and concrete floors. That's why I hang my rings up in the air in cloth bags.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought my pressure canner and it came with jars....LOTS of Jars...had to make a second trip there were so many....
I continue on with the way she did it...

I run my jars rings and seals through the dishwasher....

then when dry...I store the rings DIRECTLY ON THE JAR ....white side up...so the rubber does not stick to the glass...
I read In the all american pressure cooker book you don.t have to prior steralize the jars...and they have gone through the dishwasher...so Everything is easy and ready to go...
when it is time to can...just boil the lids...

just finds it cuts down on the effort too can...

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I keep my new flat lids in their original boxes so I know they are new, and then the little boxes are stored in plastic tubs. My rings are stored on metal clothes hangers. I took heavy duty wire cutters and cut the top halfway between the hook and the bend. Then I bent both sides back to make a hook, when unhooked you can fill the hanger with rings, hook and then hang them from your wire shelves so they are ready to go, but out of the way.

:)