Our Raised Garden beds...

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We made two of these today, the other one was still in the garage, we need a couple more screws.
Still have to fill with dirt and I'm thinking of putting chicken wire at the bottom to keep gophers out.

They're 6x3 by almost 12 inches high.

gardenbed.jpg

gardenbed1.jpg

I will put chicken wire over on the piping to keep the chickens and ducks out. I am thinking of buying some greenhouse plastic to put over the top as well to perhaps be able to lengthen the growing season a little.

I have to wait till May to plant anything.........

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Is that cedar??? They are beautiful(I like the looks of those veggies!)....and the raised beds are too! :D Great setup and the plastic is a great idea. What are you going to plant in them?

If you want to go with something a little easier to use than chicken wire, they make a great nylon deer netting that would be great for that....wish I could send you some, I have two rolls that I may never use...but then, I may have to in front of my flower beds later...not sure....

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:D I just told my hubby we're going to have to build another one just for the kids, they are STILL playing out there. My son was reading in it a little bit ago - he got himself a blanket to lay down.. too darn funny! Boy are they going to be unhappy when I fill it with dirt.

We have some supplies left over, I think we can put together another one, with sides a little higher and perhaps a roof of some kind. :lol:

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Those look really nice! I'm kinda jealous, actually...they would look great in the front yard!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is that cedar??? ....
Yes, un-treated Cedar 2x6's and then I think the corner pieces are 4x4's

The 2x6's were 10 foot long, and we used 4 for each bed. the long side is 6 ft and the short sides were cut 3 foot and 3 inches. So we had a small piece left over. the corners posts are 20 inches.

Took the two of us 3 hours to make the two of them.

the hoops are 1/2 inch plumbing pipe, and they're inserted into 1 inch pipe cut to about 6 inches.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Is that cedar??? They are beautiful(I like the looks of those veggies!)....and the raised beds are too! :D Great setup and the plastic is a great idea. What are you going to plant in them?

If you want to go with something a little easier to use than chicken wire, they make a great nylon deer netting that would be great for that....wish I could send you some, I have two rolls that I may never use...but then, I may have to in front of my flower beds later...not sure....
I used deer netting the year before last, to go around one of my veggie gardens to keep chickens out - and had a few get in and get stuck in the netting. Perhaps that this is smaller and more controlled the netting would work... I don't think I have any left, I threw the other away with its holes and tangles. I'll look at the feed store next time I'm there, it would certainly make life a little easier.