Our Raised Garden beds...

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wildsky that is nice! :clap We are building raised beds in our yard too,..but I am sure they won't look that good! Good job,..now what else you going to grow besides kids and a dog???? :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
Wildsky that is nice! :clap We are building raised beds in our yard too,..but I am sure they won't look that good! Good job,..now what else you going to grow besides kids and a dog???? :gig
:gig Isn't that enough?

I have ordered seeds and stuff, pea's, beans (kids favorites) cucumbers, tomatoes, letuce, squash, onions, carrots etc.. (oh and strawberries, huckleberry and raspberries) Not all is going to fit, I'll put the vine/running veggies and stuff in my old garden area.

I'm also getting a peach tree, a almond tree, a pear and apricot! :th
The pear tree is for my son, he just loves pears, but he's going to have to wait a couple of years, the almonds are for my hubby and the peach and apricot are for my daughter and I - I just have to figure out where the heck to plant them all.. :celebrate

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My kids would have that thing covered with a blanket and converted into a "fort" in a heartbeat.....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very nice beds. We made a square one as well and filled it with play sand for our girls. I threaten to plant in it every year. They say no way!!

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Ya know, if your son puts the blanket over the pvc, he could play 'covered wagon'.... that was my brother's favorite game as a kid. Mine too.

Where did you find almond trees that will survive our Nebraska winters? I would love to get some, but haven't found any that will survive the cold.

I decided to be brave and have already planted my peas and potatoes, and will plant my beets next week. My neighbor has already planted his corn! Wow. I'm in East NE, just south of Omaha though, so I don't know if our climate is different than yours.

Your beds look lovely and strong.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Very nice beds. We made a square one as well and filled it with play sand for our girls. I threaten to plant in it every year. They say no way!!
At our last house we had a square area that started as a sandbox and later evolved into a raised bed. Our kids (when they were little) had a lot of fun with a yard of sand. You just have to cover it at night if there are any cats around! Perhaps this story belongs in a thread about entertaining your children cheap!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
Ya know, if your son puts the blanket over the pvc, he could play 'covered wagon'.... that was my brother's favorite game as a kid. Mine too.

Where did you find almond trees that will survive our Nebraska winters? I would love to get some, but haven't found any that will survive the cold.

I decided to be brave and have already planted my peas and potatoes, and will plant my beets next week. My neighbor has already planted his corn! Wow. I'm in East NE, just south of Omaha though, so I don't know if our climate is different than yours.

Your beds look lovely and strong.
For the almond tree I looked at Gurney's (I think its the name) but they were super expensive, I did buy the Peach and apricot from them. I bought the almond tree at Farmerseed.com - we are on the edge of zone 4 and 5, the almond says it will grow in zone 5, we might be taking a bit of a chance, but I think we can get it going well enough.
They say anywhere you can grow peaches you can grow almonds, our peach tree is going to be the "Contender" which is a very hardy tree - blooms a little later than others to avoid the last frost.