Our TWO ACRES into a self sufficient farm

ELDERWOODCA

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What's the best way to go with two acres? Is it enough to feed a three person family and maybe the animals too?

My wife, daughter and I grew a small garden of squash, onions and peppers this year. It was great and we love eating food grown in our yard.

So now we want to do it with all our space and have our property sustain itself. We can't affford solar or wind but we can afford some seeds a few animals and some good ol fashion work.

I'm going to get some hens and a rooster for the eggs. We get them from the neighbor now.

We were also thinking of raising rabbits and pigs?, I've fished and hunted most my life so I can break the animals down. Are rabbit pelts worth $?

Were on our own well and creek which is a natural aquafer so waters not a problem.
I built this home for my family, so I'm sure i could build, weld or design whatever i may need or find works well.

I read somthing about mobil cages. Where you keep the rabbits over the chickens and pigs?

Thank you in advance

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!!!

It sounds like you are already on your way!! Your place has ample room for many of the things you mentioned. Try searching some of the threads for the topics you mentioned. There is a ton of great info and ideas here.

Being so near the Sequoias what type of terrain do you have? That might help determine which animals are easier for you to keep.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You've got plenty of room for goats, for milk, cheese and meat. I was surprised how quick and easy it is to make goat milk mozzarella....only about 1/2 an hour!

ELDERWOODCA

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Were at 500' elevation and have level land to work with. Bing on the creek gives us a sandy loam soil.

OH, I gotta do that, We love cheese:D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a really good location.
I would do a search to get some answers to your questions. We have less than 1 acre and grow the majority of our food.
We have chickens, and recently added goats. We do some scrounging around for feed and purchase quite a bit of feed.
2 acres may not be enough to support a milch cow, but it would be enough for sheep or goats.
Our one rabbit is a pet and fertilizer factory, not for eating or making babies :p

and welcome to the forum.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Try the book "Mini Farming: Self-Sufficiency on 1/4 Acre". I've also read you can totally support a 4 person family on 2 1/2 acres (that's including grains for flour). Wish I had that much space!!! :D

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There's also a book called The Country Life by Paul (Heinman I think) It actually has diagrams that show you how to arrange the perfect garden farm, 1 acre, and three acre parcel. You can get some really good ideas there. On two acres you can do most anything!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
There's also a book called The Country Life by Paul (Heinman I think) It actually has diagrams that show you how to arrange the perfect garden farm, 1 acre, and three acre parcel. You can get some really good ideas there. On two acres you can do most anything!
Found it on Amazon...the author is Paul Heiney. Subtitle is "A Handbook for Realists & Dreamers"

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome ELDERWOODCA! :frow

Sounds like you already have a lot of knowledge and skills to help you on your way. I'm trying to raise as much of my own food on 1 acre as I possibly can. Having that second acre would be quite an asset.

It comes down to making every square foot of space productive or useful. I am certain that you could feed your chickens on 2 acres. You have room to grow corn, millet, oats, etc. Probably rabbits too. I think you would end up having to buy hay for goats though. I don't know about hogs, no experience there.

I can fit a few goats on my acre and that is my next step for self-sufficiency here. Most of my acre goes to garden and fruit trees. The septic wastes a lot of my space, but I can at least free range my chickens over it and I don't think a couple of goats will cause any problems either.

I was just eyeing two locust trees today that I think I ought to cut down. They are only good for shade. I'd rather have fruit trees or more garden space there. Gotta make every inch count! ;)

A couple years ago, I read (in Countryside magazine, I think it was) about a couple who turned every square inch of their suburban FL yard into garden space. They made their living selling the extra produce! They were vegetarians though, so animals weren't a consideration for them, but I found the article to be very inspiring.

Even on a small parcel of land, we have more assets than we realize. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:welcome I bet you can do a lot on 2 acres!! I've got just about 3/4 and I've got 17 hens and a rooster, 7 ducks and 3 goats. I can't do a whole lot of gardening since we're surrounded by trees that belong to neighbors. I bet on 2 acres you'll have more than enough sun even if you have to do some clearing.
I'd recommended doing a little more each year.