Paddling....

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Other people are welcome to discipline my kids when I am not around, but they are NOT welcome to hit them.

Our school does a great job keeping in touch about behavior problems. When our kids have problems, we completely and vocally back up the school's method of handling the problem and promise even harder consequences at home if the behavior happens again.

We have a principal who builds snow forts with the kids, plays outside at recess, presents his wonderful smiling self to observe the classes, and has built an incredible relationship with the children. Believe me, the kids do NOT want the shame of being sent to his office for misbehavior. He never handles them any way but tenderly and gently, and that seems to work as well as (better than!!!) hitting them.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
This was in Missouri, the paddling schools. Saw it on the news. I have many mixed feelings as well. I mean, they paddle a kid, he gets dad's gun and shoots them....ugh, or worse, dad comes in and shoots them.

But like what was said before, so many can't dicipline their own, how can they do mine? And the way thngs are nowadays...pfffft forget it.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score

Here is my opinon on this, for what its worth and it may not be a popular one at that. But here it is.

Teachers are paid to teach our children, not discipline them in that manner.
It does not belong in schools, period.
I don't hit my kids and they sure better not

I cannot imagine allowing someone to hit my child, or allowing someone else to make the decision to hit my child.
I know some teachers who are not stable( I grew up with some of them that teach in my town) how many times have you picked up the newspaper to read about yet another teachers antics.
Don't get me wrong there are alot of wonderful teachers, but who is to say then which ones are allowed to decide to paddle kids?

Where I live you will get arrested if you smack your kid and most of the time have your children taken away from you and you have to go to court.

Everyone has their own way of dealing with their kids at home and hopefully they do what works best for them.
I have never used physical punishment as a chosen method of discipline.
I don't want anyone hitting me so I wouldn't hit someone else.
I also feel that sometimes when people hit children its a sign that they lost control and a kids knows that.
It sends the wrong message in my opinion, it can backfire.
I also have never ever had a school call me to complain about any one of my children, I get compliments on my children's behavior all the time from teachers and other parents.
They are very well behaved, all of them.
I can effectively punish them without physical force and the school should be able to do that as well.

I realize that alot of times parents don't bother teaching their kids respect and there are alot of punk kids out there, but in my opinion it is still not the schools place to dole out physical punishment.

edited to remove and extra word

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
TSL--I agree. My kids are not perfect. We have gotten calls about standing up on the bus, sticking tongue out, etc. We have a definite standard for our kids at home. But, they are kids and they make their own choices at school. Then, they have consequences. If the behavior happens again, we can choose at home to make tougher consequences (NOT us hitting them) to make our point. I think hitting teaches hitting. And I have certainly spanked my own children. The only thing I noticed was that the more frequently they got swatted on the behind (when they were young), the more they hit others...

I can in no way imagine how a teacher, aid or principal hitting my child would teach them better. It would instill fear, for sure, but kids who need to be taught such fear may already have more serious discipline issues to be dealt with...

shareneh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am going to sound barbaric but here goes... I spanked my children when they were small, say from the age of 1-6. Only if what they were doing was life threatening like wandering into the street or climbing on the shelves.

A perfect example of the opposite parenting technique is my sister who lets her 2 year old run away from her as a game and the 2 year old was almost run down by a car at the park when she got away from my sister. I spanked my neice when she did that to me and she doesn't play the run away game with me.

From 6-11 I spanked for outright disrespect of me, elders or property. I didn't spank for things that were accepted childhood behavior but for things that had to be taught for life lessons.

I had to spank my step-son for shooting out two school bus windows with a bb gun while it was parked in front of my neighbors house. It cost me 300+ for that boo-boo.

My children and step-son weren't scared of me unless they did something in the above mentioned category.

In North Dakota, where we live, paddling is accepted in some schools and you have to sign a consent form. I went to a school where it was an accepted form of discipline and you did not want to end up in the principal's office so you obeyed and respected your teachers.

In the school my kids attended paddling wasn't allowed and kids weren't even able to rough-house or they were kicked out of school. My kids' teachers found it a blessing when they had to report things to me because they knew I would follow up on their "report".

As a matter of fact I let my little ones know on their first day of school that if a teacher had to report them to me I would believe the teacher first. It worked well for me. I only had to spank one of my kids for this, my youngest son when he was 13.

The bible says to spare the rod you will spoil the child. It's important to discipline children because it will eventually make their lives easier and they are better citizens.

In Alaska, where we lived for four years the term "It takes a village to raise a child" is true. Where we lived kids were disciplined by any adult that was nearby and it wasn't questioned. It was like having full-time nannies everywhere. I felt that my kids were safer there than here where there are no bears or rushing rivers.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
nothing wrong with a little spanking to me. Nicole being 3, she had a few small spanks. I like the fear factor of it...makes her stop and think. Not "overly" fearful but does make a kid think about consequences to their actions. That is a good thing to have in life...it does make them better people. Without consequences to actions, people can do anything horrible they want.....with consequences, they make better decisions I think.....just my opinion.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
shareneh said:
In Alaska, where we lived for four years the term "It takes a village to raise a child" is true. Where we lived kids were disciplined by any adult that was nearby and it wasn't questioned. It was like having full-time nannies everywhere. I felt that my kids were safer there than here where there are no bears or rushing rivers.
I wish it were like that around here! I could sure use some nannies running around!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Where we lived kids were disciplined by any adult that was nearby and it wasn't questioned. It was like having full-time nannies everywhere.

**********I hear ya on this cause I grew up in a neighborhood in NJ. Not one of us kids could get away with anything....every mom saw everything and they would report to each other...LOL...that was when everyone knew their neighbors and trusted them....now it just doesn't seem that way as much.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
shareneh said:
I am going to sound barbaric but here goes... I spanked my children when they were small, say from the age of 1-6. Only if what they were doing was life threatening like wandering into the street or limbing on the shelves.
RM
If you spank them when they are that small then they do not remember the pain, but in the future they will stop and THINK and they arent even really sure why, lol.

A perfect example of the opposite parenting technique is my sister who lets her 2 year old run away from her as a game and the 2 year old was almost run down by a car at the park when she got away from my sister. I spanked my neice when she did that to me and she doesn't play the run away game with me.
RM
It is funny how children (even that young) will learn quickly what they can play and with whom.

From 6-11 I spanked for outright disrespect of me, elders or property. I didn't spank for things that were accepted childhood behavior but for things that had to be taught for life lessons.
RM
I also am barbaric so I will just whole heartedly agree-well said.

My children and step-son weren't scared of me unless they did something in the above mentioned category.
RM
They werent scared, BUT they did fear the consequences a little. Because a little fear never hurt anyone. Think about it, I do not like to mess with electricity, the bottom line is I am scared of it.

In North Dakota, where we live, paddling is accepted in some schools and you have to sign a consent form. I went to a school where it was an accepted form of discipline and you did not want to end up in the principal's office so you obeyed and respected your teachers.

In the school my kids attended paddling wasn't allowed and kids weren't even able to rough-house or they were kicked out of school. My kids' teachers found it a blessing when they had to report things to me because they knew I would follow up on their "report".
Lucky that the child protective people didnt find out, lol,
As a matter of fact I let my little ones know on their first day of school that if a teacher had to report them to me I would believe the teacher first. It worked well for me. I only had to spank one of my kids for this, my youngest son when he was 13.
RM
I did that with the bus driver, in front of the kids. Never had a child kicked off the nus, nor did I have to discipline them for doing anything wrong on the bus.

The bible says to spare the rod you will spoil the child. It's important to discipline children because it will eventually make their lives easier and they are better citizens.

RM
There have been a quite a few times that people have told me about something one of my children were doing wrong BECAUSE they knew I wouldnt take it out on them for telling me.

It really does take a village, but in this day and age you cannot even look funny at anothers child for dpong something so patently wrong.

Just thought I should pipe up again. I actually agree with farmerchick also, I just figured I could agree in little sentences more in her post, lol.

Latest posts