Pain After Eating Bananas

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Huh. That list explains why I react to bananas as well as wheat. Nothing severe, but too much banana bread can have me breaking out in hives. Tomatoes were also on my intolerance list when I had my allergy testing, but I eat them anyway :D If I don't eat them with wheat I seem to be fine.

redridinghood

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was so excited to see this post. I am having the exact same problem. I find that if the banana is too ripe, or large that I ache all over, in the jaw, chest, etc. I've done a little checking on Bananas and found they are high in Iodine of which I'm allergic. I had never considered bananas to be a source of iodine. So no more large bananas. Only a small one and if it continues, I will give them up all together. Good luck to you!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Even if you've never had a latex allergy in your life before you can develope one after invasive surgery. For some reason, exposing one's innards to latex surgical gloves can trigger a latex allergy later on....this is what happened to my mother and now she has to be very careful about bananas. Seems like it's the skin and not the actual banana that has the latex components, so if someone skins it for her, she can eat them just fine.

Have someone skin those nanners for you and see if you have the same reaction.

One thing to note....those of you who have latex allergies, be sure and remind your docs and nurses that any injectable you may require needs to come from a bottle that does not have latex seal in the top of it! My mother had rotator cuff surgery and had severe swelling, edema and itching at the site and all down her arm afterwards. The docs could not figure out why until I had her ask about the latex seal on the anesthetic that was injected into the site. Sure enough, latex had been used there and basically had been injected into her shoulder tissues.....doc says he will now watch out for this event in future patients.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi redridinghood! I see this is your first post.

I think too, that sometimes your system just starts to have a sensitivity to stuff that you had no problem with for years prior. My mom ate cucumbers for years, now she says that her mouth kind of burns when she eats them.

I'm lucky, no reactions to anything except a few years ago, I started itching like mad after taking penicillin for an abcessed tooth. Dentist told me not to take it ever again. But chow? I can eat whatever I want.

Interesting about the bananas.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
redridinghood said:
I was so excited to see this post. I am having the exact same problem. I find that if the banana is too ripe, or large that I ache all over, in the jaw, chest, etc. I've done a little checking on Bananas and found they are high in Iodine of which I'm allergic. I had never considered bananas to be a source of iodine. So no more large bananas. Only a small one and if it continues, I will give them up all together. Good luck to you!
Hmm..interesting! I just had a CT scan of my chest and they injected iodine and I didn't have any weird reactions (other than the weird "warming" sensation that's normal with iodine). I stopped eating bananas though. :p I'm "glad" to know there is someone else out there who knows what I'm feeling! Glad is in quotes, because I'm not glad you have a problem too, but at least I know I'm not crazy! :lol:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We love bringing up old threads! I don't really have anyhing to add to this one! That's not usual for me! :gig

Not exactly the same, but still about bananas: since the last time I looked at this thread, I've learned that bananas are a high FODMAP food and can cause bloating, GI pain, constipation or diarrhea. They've become no-go for me even though its not due to allergenic symptoms.

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@tortoise . I can't pm you so leaving a message here. It's very late here and can't reply to your helpful posts. I will be back as soon as I can. Thanks so much :)