Painting cabinets in a trailer/mobile home...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anyone had good success with paint adhering to the cabinets they have in trailers/mobile homes? We've primed them first. I've painted smaller things with this type of surface but didn't know if anyone could give me their success rate on longterm use of the cabinets after painting?

Did they require many touch ups from being bumped, scratched, etc.? Or did the primer and paint seem to be pretty resilient?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You can get great results with a tremclad paint or rustoleum...a pressure washer couldn't get that stuff off once it's on! LOL! Regular household paint you may have to touch up once a year but with a good primer it will make a big difference.

Oil based paints and primers are also very good for this type of use. I have painted everything!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd definately get something easy to clean! My kitchen gets used ALOT and I find myself wiping the cabinets down more often than I would like. I'd have to have something durable and very easy to clean before I'd paint my cabinets. I have good oak cabinets though and wouldn't dream of painting them, but then I like the natural wood look.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey Bee!

Back when I lived in my retro 70's mobile home,..which I loved,..I painted my kitchen cabinets, but I used a good oil based paint. It was very durable,..cleaned up nice, took a scrubbing too. That paint on those cabinets lasted me 12 years. The day they tore down the old trailer them cabinets still looked as good as they did the day I painted them. :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
:thumbsup
Up-the-Creek said:
Hey Bee!

Back when I lived in my retro 70's mobile home,..which I loved,..I painted my kitchen cabinets, but I used a good oil based paint. It was very durable,..cleaned up nice, took a scrubbing too. That paint on those cabinets lasted me 12 years. The day they tore down the old trailer them cabinets still looked as good as they did the day I painted them. :)
:thumbsup I agree! Oil based is great for cabinets, trim, and older wooden windowsills. It lasts almost forever. Shame of it is that Canada is outlawing all oil based paints now...something to do with the environment sheesh...but it is the best!

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
:thumbsup
Up-the-Creek said:
Hey Bee!

:thumbsup I agree! Oil based is great for cabinets, trim, and older wooden windowsills. It lasts almost forever. Shame of it is that Canada is outlawing all oil based paints now...something to do with the environment sheesh...but it is the best!
Yep... I lived in a 1970 mobile home and painted my cabinets with melamine paint. I didn't have to touch it up once in the four years I lived there, I also painted the countertop with the same paint (different colour) and that needed touching up about once a year, but that was because I got lazy about cutting on the counter, etc.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used Cabinet Transformations by Rustoleum that both Home Depot and Lowe's carry, it is AWESOME! It is just like a factory finish, it takes time to paint them but it is worth the 74.00 for the kit which comes with scrubber, bond coat, paint coat and final coat and optional decorative stain for like a rubbed finish (I did not use it) I have had to scrub yuck off from the kids and they look perfect still after almost a year.

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
when painting things with a shiney shear...including linolium...ciramic tile...counters ext...
first prime with a 321 comes in a blue and white can...is absolutely amazing...
but carefull is hard to get off is ya paint dot unselected areas...;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Wow! Great advice! I don't think I could have gotten Mom to agree to an oil-based paint at this time of year...maybe when we could have opened the windows. :p

We are using a high quality, high gloss enamel on top of primer but I'm still leery about the bumps and scrapes it may sustain. Thank goodness there are no more small children involved...or even teens.

I'm doing a little, frugal-istic makeover of the Ol' Bat Cave....she's been living in this place for the past 20 years and has maintained it like new...except these cabinets have that horrible papered on wood print...you guys know of which I speak. :sick She's never painted them because she didn't feel paint would adhere and now they have faded in the sun, bubbled in places, etc.

We are even doing a cheap counter top makeover involving stick on floor tiles and additional tile glue. I'll try to post before and after pics of the cabin and kitchen makeover when I'm done. Trying hard to get most of it finished before Christmas but will put in details of borders, etc. later.