Pallets??

PatchofHeavenFarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We get lots and lots of pallets and I have been trying to find some good ways to recycle them! Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Compost bins, cage frames, rabbit hutch materials, just about anything you can imagine. They work great for most things. I use them a lot. I have them as the floor in my greenhouse now.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Compost bins, cage frames, rabbit hutch materials, just about anything you can imagine. They work great for most things. I use them a lot. I have them as the floor in my greenhouse now.
What she said. Many uses - I love 'em.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Hiya Boogity :frow I love them too...SO many uses! I get a lot of them around here too. :D

dwbonfire

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i collect pallets :) i go around picking them up from anywhere i can get them. i have made many things with them, a pig pen, i pulled them apart to make a picket fence, a chicken coop, and other things ive used the wood for. pallets are very useful!

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A Neat Use For Pallets

Been thinking about incorporating this idea around the outside area of our fire pit area as a windbreak.

We also plan on repurposing pallets as raised bed gardens since our "soil" is so rocky here.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here's my pallet chicken coop... I put insulation inside and then sheathed the walls in a thin plywood... the floors, walls and doors are all pallets, plus the supports for the outside run are pallet boards.

It's only 8x4 feet, but we only keep 4 laying hens and they free-range all day so they only get locked in here for the evening/night. We did put a permanent roof on later, but the chickens were arriving and we just needed something to keep the rain off them until the roof went on.

HPIM0909.jpg

HPIM0908.jpg

PatchofHeavenFarm

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys! I was thinking of trying the garden idea but read somewhere that some pallets are made with treated wood and could cause chemicals to leech into the plants? Anyone know if this is true?
Neat chicken coop!! I want to get a few hens and I may try this for mine! :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Please be aware that all pallets are not alike, they range from the light flimsy ones that are made for one trip for items like paper towels [to Wal-mart now being replaced by card board] to the ones that take four 600# drums which are recycled by industry until they fail. Nor the plastic or steel ones used for special purposes. When I worked at a Big Pharma plant stuff would be removed from wooden pallets. vacummed or blown off and placed on plastic pallets which could be sterilized or steam cleaned before being taken into the plant itself.
After my father left the farm he started a pallet repair business where he would run around and get broken pallets and repair them. Stricky a local business but he did quite well at it because he was handy and built jigs to help remove broken boards [toughtest job] and hold boards inplace while they were drilled and nail- gunned in place. [most hardwoods will split if not predrilled.
Like Railcars pallets are owned by someone and rented to users. They are marked between the two side entry 'arches' and both ends of the backbone. the type and number of pallets used in a load are marked on the shipping papers.
If you are in a port city some very nice rare hardwood boards can be found in pallets from overseas. Teak was often used until the prices went up, all his outdoor furnishings were made of reclaimed Teak.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Wannabefree said:
Hiya Boogity :frow I love them too...SO many uses! I get a lot of them around here too. :D
Wannabe, your posts are so full of ideas and great hope... do you have a digital camera? If so, how bout uploading pics of how you've used the pallets? :pop

I'd really like to see the illustrated re-purposing thing take off here on SS!! :D