Pancake syrup?!? What's on your pancakes?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We make waffles more often than pancakes, because the kids are doing more and more cooking and the waffle iron is pretty fool-proof when it comes to not burning breakfast :rolleyes:

We top them with home-made yogurt, berries or home made preserves/fruit syrup, apple sauce, banana slices or peach slices etc.--whatever we have. Yum!

We do occasionally have real maple syrup as well.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
keljonma said:
TR's family used karo syrup on theirs..... okay it was the 50's and 60's ... but still......
Oh gross, I remember that stuff. My mother used to buy it for our pancakes and waffles. I couldn't stand it! :sick

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't eat them (gluten), but hubby and the kids insist they must have lotsa butter, and maple syrup. Hubby will occasionally have jam on them. We make alot of waffles here, and its either maple syrup, or jam with whipped cream.

Edited to say. Once corn season comes around, I will be making corn cobb syrup again this year. It is yummy, cheaper than maple syrup, and better than the store bought stuff.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
JRmom said:
keljonma said:
TR's family used karo syrup on theirs..... okay it was the 50's and 60's ... but still......
Oh gross, I remember that stuff. My mother used to buy it for our pancakes and waffles. I couldn't stand it! :sick
Yeah, my DMIL used to heat up the karo and add some flavoring - sometimes vanilla and sometimes maple.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
keljonma said:
JRmom said:
keljonma said:
Yeah, my DMIL used to heat up the karo and add some flavoring - sometimes vanilla and sometimes maple.
Sounds like Log Cabin! Isn't Karo just corn syrup? Add some maple flavor and you've got "pancake syup". I think. Not sure. Going to check.....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
keljonma said:
JRmom said:
Sounds like Log Cabin! Isn't Karo just corn syrup? Add some maple flavor and you've got "pancake syup". I think. Not sure. Going to check.....
Yep, Hen! And we saw on the bottle now that it is made WITHOUT HFCS! :lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Blueberry syrup! Some off-brand from Big Lots Checked the label Sugar listed first and no mention of HFCS or corn syrup. Actually tastes ike blueberries with way too much sugar.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use mainly real maple syrup made by a relative. But I sometimes will put lots of butter and sprinkle sugar in the raw and a bit of fresh grated cinnamon stick.
There is a difference between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup.