Pancake syrup?!? What's on your pancakes?

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So anyway I had a good laugh at my former roommate (who always seems to still be here)'s expense, I made yummy homemade pancakes for myself and the kids, and since he was here I offered him the leftovers. He puts them on a plate and heads to the fridge, then to the pantry, then paces around the kitchen for awhile looking lost. So curious, I ask him what he is looking for, his response, pancake syrup.

"We don't have pancake syrup"

"Oh, why not"

"Because it's maple flavored high fructose corn syrup"

"Oh, do you have maple syrup"

"Nope, that is over $20 a gallon"
(I *MAY* have some hidden in the back of the pantry but that is MINE!!!!)

"What do you put on your pancakes?"

"Today we had warmed strawberry preserves I made last year, would you like to try that?"

"No, I don't like strawberries"

"I have other berries too"

"No, I don't eat berries"

"Peach? Apricot? Butter? Honey? Honey-butter?"

*head shake* then he puts the pancakes back in the fridge.

He was genuinely confused that I would have pancakes and no syrup, to the point he didn't eat.

Made me laugh.

But anyway what do you put on your pancakes? Because I am pretty sure there are no bottles of Pancake Syrup in most of our pantries, lol.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well, I'll admit that most of the time, I'm a maple flavored high fructose corn syrup type of girl. Occasionally we have the real stuff, or I'll make some using brown sugar and Maple flavoring.

DH likes them with an egg on top (butter and syrup, too), but I have seen him smear peanut butter and grape jelly on them. Right now I have some leftover orange syrup from making candied orange peel the other day. I used it on waffles the next morning, reminds me of orange marmalade.

If I had any of the homemade berry preserves or jam, that would be it! Yum.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Usually homemade preserves or fruit syrup; maple syrup - I like grade B on pancakes. :drool I think pancakes are TR's favorite meal and he would eat them everyday if I made them. :lol: Palacsinta is good too, layered with fresh fruit and/or preserves.

edited for typos

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love Bob's Red Mill flours, they have such a great selection of GF and some tasty recipes to go with them.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
LOL, people can be funny :)

I probably MOST prefer lots and lots of butter with rather too much cinnamon-sugar sprinkled into it. But mostly what we use on our pancakes in this house is less-successful jams/jellies. I also really like apple butter (or other fruit butters) on pancakes but nobody else in this family does. Or sprinkle on some walnuts and drizzle honey over it all.

Oh, and my now-4-yr-old discovered last year that a really yummy combination is orange marmalade with cinnamon sprinkled over it.

Pat

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pancakes and eggs are our frequent breakfasts here, I should just make a few fruit syrups this year because the kids would love it.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I do have "fake" maple syrup in my pantry... hubby likes it. But I usually do honey or preserves, and I did just buy a bottle of "real" strawberry syrup at the produce market. We don't eat a lot of pancakes, but I do make french toast quite a bit.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Usually maple syrup, honey, or jam. Sometimes we make peanut butter pancakes, and then you don't need to put anything on them cuz they're yummy plain; though, I did try some with apple butter, and that was a good combo.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I don't eat pancakes much any more since going low carb, but when I do make some with almond flour it's real maple syrup all the way. We have a huge Norway maple in our front yard and for the last two years DH has tapped it and boiled down the sap. We get less than a gallon but it lasts us more than half the year. I'll use homemade strawberry jam sometimes too but really prefer the syrup.
DS is eating sorghum flour waffles with maple syrup on them as I type.... :cool: