Pasty Pie

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
This is reminding me of beerocks for some reason. Oh, I used to make those ALL the time when my daughter was little. I ought to do them again for the grandkids.

Way back when as well, I read about pasties and why they were so tough. I can't remember the details, but it's something about them being made by miners' wives or something...help me, those with good memories...and the pasties were wrapped in paper and the miners kept them in their pockets until lunch so they had to be made of tough dough. Does that sound right?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
This is reminding me of beerocks for some reason.
close but not quite, yours takes more time

Ldychef2k said:
I ought to do them again for the grandkids.
anything for them is good from grandma

Ldychef2k said:
I read about pasties and why they were so tough. I can't remember the details, but it's something about them being made by miners' wives or something...help me, those with good memories...and the pasties were wrapped in paper and the miners kept them in their pockets until lunch so they had to be made of tough dough. Does that sound right?
Never heard of that before, sounds kinda like the origin of steak tartare.

Ldychef2k said:
I can't remember the details, but it's something about them being made by miners' wives or something
I thought these were made famous in the north and mostly in the Michigan area, mining was not prevalent there or so I thought.

I traveled all over the country for business and never saw a pasty outside of the Lake Michigan region. Minnesota has a heck of a beer cheese soup though.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
This is reminding me of beerocks for some reason. Oh, I used to make those ALL the time when my daughter was little. I ought to do them again for the grandkids.

Way back when as well, I read about pasties and why they were so tough. I can't remember the details, but it's something about them being made by miners' wives or something...help me, those with good memories...and the pasties were wrapped in paper and the miners kept them in their pockets until lunch so they had to be made of tough dough. Does that sound right?
I have heard similar stories. Also I believe they originated among the miners of Cornwall, England, and were brought from there when some of these families emigrated. Thus "Cornish Pasties" which is the name I know them by.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I like this quote at the bottom: of the above link
Legend has it that the Devil never crossed the river Tamar into Cornwall on account of the belief that Cornish women were in the habit of putting everything into their pasties, so he was not brave enough to risk that fate
Sounds like some of the women around here trying to sneak beans into everything

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
I thought this might be interesting to you as far as history etc of the Cornish pasty.

http://www.recipes4us.co.uk/History/Cornish Pasty.htm
That pretty much covered everything ldychef2k thought, a while back I came across the same info while searching for the Michigan Upper Peninsula recipe and never bothered reading the origins. As far as I was concerned it was a northern thing as I never saw them elsewhere in the united states.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasty

I see that the rutabaga and swede are the same thing and basically a yellow turnip, none of my local stores carries any of those and would not of known what they were except for seeing them in cartoons 50 years ago, as I never saw one in real life. I did find a white turnip the other day and it seemed to have absolutely no flavor but will add it in my next batch anyways. Of course I have no idea what it is suppose to taste like and may use radish instead.

Just read this
Michigan's Upper Peninsula struck copper and iron in the 1840s and is said that large immigration then started.
"The first wave were the Cornish from England, with centuries of mining experience; followed by Irish, Germans, and French Canadians."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Peninsula

Which would explain why I have only found pasties up there.

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hattie, nice to see another Brit on here. :frow

I am in Belize now (Central America). Born in Lancashire, lived in Devon for 9 years prior to moving here.

I was gonna post something about pasties being from Cornwall, although there is a Devon pastie as well, can't remeber the difference, something very slight.

Hattie the Hen

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Oh real Devonshire clotted cream, one of the things I miss.

The jam must go under the cream. Be a bit messy on top. But let them fight about it, keeps them out of other mischief.

Nothing like a quiet Sunday afternoon out of "Grockle" season, sat up on Dartmoor with the ponies having a lovely cream tea.:D