Pasty Pie

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Never heard of a pasty - but we're having them tonight. Hopefully, everyone will like them!

Inchworm

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
inchworm said:
Never heard of a pasty - but we're having them tonight. Hopefully, everyone will like them!

Inchworm
I've got 2 big ones in the oven as I type, this time I added the turnip and will report back if it is as crucial as everything I have read on that ingredient.

The Cornish may have brought the pasty to Upper Michigan in the 1800's but I am bringing them to Kentucky in the 2000's. Nobody around here has ever heard of them.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(I forget, it is past dinner time over there in the east.)

Reading about patsies :drool makes me hungry for dinner and it isn't even 5:00 yet here.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok - everybody liked the pasties! I can see it as a great way to use up all kinds of leftovers. And they don't get mushy like my pot pies.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Hattie, that was fascinating, thank you !

The heating on a shovel part reminded me of something. After he retired from his lifelong job as a foreman, my dad became a walnut rancher. When it came time to shake the trees and pick up the nuts, he had a crew that came every year. Most of them, as is true in our area almost exclusively, were Mexicans. They would always invite Dad to have lunch with them, and because my Dad is no fool, he accepted every time! They had a shovel in the back of their truck, wrapped in a burlap bag, just for cooking. They built a fire in a 50 gallon drum and heated up the food their wives sent -- mostly tacos, sometimes tamales, but always dry or wrapped tightly so as not to dirty the shovel! Dad said it was the best food he has ever eaten, and he gained an enormous amount of respect for the men (hey, the women did the cooking!) because of their work ethic.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Hattie, that was fascinating, thank you !

The heating on a shovel part reminded me of something. After he retired from his lifelong job as a foreman, my dad became a walnut rancher. When it came time to shake the trees and pick up the nuts, he had a crew that came every year. Most of them, as is true in our area almost exclusively, were Mexicans. They would always invite Dad to have lunch with them, and because my Dad is no fool, he accepted every time! They had a shovel in the back of their truck, wrapped in a burlap bag, just for cooking. They built a fire in a 50 gallon drum and heated up the food their wives sent -- mostly tacos, sometimes tamales, but always dry or wrapped tightly so as not to dirty the shovel! Dad said it was the best food he has ever eaten, and he gained an enormous amount of respect for the men (hey, the women did the cooking!) because of their work ethic.
We lived for many years at the south end of San Francisco bay. Once we had some work done, and the workers were Mexican. No shovels here though; the wives had still sent what looked like wonderful lunches, but several asked me if I couldn't zap them in the microwave for them. They were out of luck, I was probably the last person in town to acquire a microwave, and that hadn't happened yet. I stuck them in the oven, but the men had to wait for their lunch. A shovel might have been faster :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I like the shovel fry pan idea, wonder if my post hole digger would work to flip an omelet? Had a friend once who didn't want to start a cooking fire and so heated up one spoon of pork n' beans at a time with a cigarette lighter.

My pasties turned out good last night but couldn't discern the added turnip, again I don't know what they are suppose to taste like but had no flavor when raw either. The store I bought them from only had 2 and they were a bit soft.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
One spoon at a time?? :gig

Hoe Cakes: Hoe cakes are a traditional Southern cornmeal pancake that are supposed to have been so-named because they were originally cooked on the blade of a hoe over an open fire.

Turnips are supposed to be very healthy for you xpc.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
If you ever find the rutabagas- try them. I don't care for turnips at all, they have a bite to them. BUT I adore rutabaga! I boil, mash, eat with butter and salt as a stand alone. I can see how they'd be great in pasties. I find them at Walmart all year. Maybe just my area, but the cashiers never know what they are so I don't think the demand is high enough to justify carrying them , but they do.