Patandchickens' journal - please think good thoughts for my cat!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Soooo cute! At that age they get a lot of mileage out of their costumes. Makes it worth it. When my youngest was little he was very concerned about his first trip to the dentist, sooo I let him wear his cheetah costume. The trip was a success.

Love those ants!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Thank you for all the nice comments - yes, they are very cute kids even if they do have a few too many legs :) LOL about sugary snacks :)

Hafta get some videotape of them today to send down to their grandparents.

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Those are absolutely adorable ant costumes!! You did a wonderful job!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bet they will have fun tonight ! cool costumes! nice work!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
No fun tonight, as such -- we live in a rural area, so no trick or treating. I assume as they get older they will acquire in-town friends with whom they can maybe trick or treat, so I am not worrying about it at this point :)

Hey, I taught Harry to climb trees today! It is a GORGEOUS, very unseasonable, day -- temperatures in the 60s F, light southerly breeze, blue sky, last moths and beetles flying around. We puttered around for a while outside and then I decided today would be a good day for The Tree. It's a still-youngish willow near the barn driveway (unfortunately, also overhanging the barn driveway ditch) with lots of large low branches for easy access. I pruned all the little sticky-out-y bits off a couple months ago in anticipation of doing this.

You have to understand, I was a seriously climby kid but was never *allowed* to climb things and had no climbable trees around anyhow, so of course, I am intent on making sure Harry is not similarly deprived <g>. I mean, I don't want him to end up in a cast or at the ER, but I think he's old enough to start learning The Way Of The Tree :)

He did really well. No idea what to do at first, but with a few pointers he soon got to where he was pretty comfortable and figuring things out for himself. I won't let him go more than about 8' up, such a mean mean mommie I am, but he went up and down and up and down a number of times and generally had a blast. So did I :D

I am going to pretend that this is related to self-sufficiency in the sense that I am teaching him to be self-sufficient in tree climbing skills. Right? Right? LOL

Pat, who is partly 43 but also partly 9 :)

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jussssssssssst out of curiosity, Pat.... why did you make the costumes if not for trick or treating? :) Inspired by the spirit of the season?

Cassandra

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Jussssssssssst out of curiosity, Pat.... why did you make the costumes if not for trick or treating? :) Inspired by the spirit of the season?
Because I don't have a little girl I can sew cute little dresses for, is why :p This is my once a year opportunity to make something silly! Also, they did go to Halloween parties at the two Early Years centers (provincially run drop-in play center) that we regularly attend, on Wednesday and Thursday. So they did get some public mileage out of their antliness.

Of course if it was just a matter of the second reason, there, I woulda sent them as something whipped together outta their closet and toybox, like construction workers or something :)

Zenbirder said:
How long since you last climbed a tree?
Well, at this moment in time, about two hours ago, since I wanted to demonstrate something to Harry :p

Prior to that, my gosh, I couldn't begin to guess. Grad school, probably, so we're talking almost 20 years ago.

I *knew* there was a reason I had kids... <vbg>

Pat