Patch Of Heaven's Journal ***new pics pg 7***

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:hu I think when the bears try to eat the bacon or hotdogs or whatever you hang it gives them a shock. I guess bears have really thick fur and the nose and mouth are the best place to shock them. I will ask my friend for more details though because I am not sure. :p

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup. From some decades of experience with electric fences, animals have to be trained to the fence. In other words, make sure they get a good jolt on purpose. Otherwise, if they are running along and get run into the fence by mistake, they might bolt...through the fence and into (or out of) the enclosure! Then not be able to figure out how to get out, now that they know what the fence means.

Bacon is a great idea, since the bear will be very focused on the food and what it is hanging on, and will be VERY clear on where the shock came from.

When I was a kid we would train unshod animals to the fence by using and antique calf collar (metal) with a bit of chain hanging from it. This pretty much guaranteed good contact and conduction. Wet grass made it even better. Then tempt the animal to the fence with food.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:) I am happy to report that we have 3 dz + chicks now with more that should be hatching in the next few days.

We finally got the tiller here!!! :ya I have been getting the garden tilled and planted!!

Bees will arrive next Tuesday!!!!! :weee :hide

I will take pics of the new peeps sometime today if I get a chance. :)

Hope everyone had a great Easter!! :frow

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm sooooooo coveting your tiller right now! I need to find a decent priced tiller so badly right now! :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Happy for you!!! 3 dozen chicks! Woo hoo! This weekend I hope to get more chickens myself.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was really blessed to find one just the right price for me. I have been a tilling fool the last cpl days. :p

We planted watermelons, pumpkins, gourds of all kinds and canteloupe today!! :weee