Patch Of Heaven's Journal ***new pics pg 7***

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We decided to take a walk and give the chick some time alone. :p Spring is here!! We seen several bunnies and even a turtle that was out and about. We checked the pond and watched a bird build a nest in a pine tree. :)

ap6r09021.jpg

the pond

ap6r09010.jpg

turtle we seen on our walk

ap6r09011.jpg

we have one tree that makes huge pine cones! People buy them for crafts.

ap6r09016.jpg

A snake skin....:hide...glad the snake was already gone.....

ap6r09018.jpg

the pond

Will post some of the chick later.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well the chick is doing good and will hopefully have some friends joining it soon. We have 12 that should pip today sometime. I candled them and they are all moving and looking good. I heard some of them trying to pip this morining when I held the egg close. These will be the first for the homemade incubator. Can't wait to see what our hatch rate will be. :fl

I will be collecting some of our RIR eggs this week and will hopefully set some by next Monday. Hoping for mostly roos to put in the freezer. :drool As we are processing the last of the ones we have now tommorrow. Nothing like home grown free ranged chicken!!

I am hopefully going to look at the tiller today and make sure it is in good shape though I believe it is. We will get it next week if we decide to buy it.

I am hoping to start on the chicken moat next week too. We plan to put all our laying hens in it and the rest will range or be put in breeding pens. I would really like to get some turkeys too but not sure what breed I want. Anyone have any suggestions? I want one that can range and one that will not fly away at the first chance. A good layer because I want a self sustainig flock. Also any ideas where I can find some turkey hatching eggs? :hu

chickUNO004.jpg

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm so jealous! I want a pond! The pics are great, love the snakeskin!

Congrats on the chick! I want to do that someday but we just have too much going on right now for it.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
How are the baby chickies? Did the others hatch yet? :weee

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:ya We have two chicks right now and three more working on hatching.

Thanks Lori! :frow

Hope to see you tonite Cetta!! :weee

Sure Jay anytime! :)

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:ya The tiller looks great!!! We will be getting it sometime this weekend when my dh is off.

I am so excited!! I have all my seeds ready to plant! :celebrate

We got the acre of corn planted today! Hopefully we can keep the deer out. :smack

We have 4 chicks hatched and two more are almost out! :weee

Hopefully I will be done with spring cleaning today and will start spring cleaning the coops and barn tommorrow. Everything could use a fresh coat of paint. Sounds like dh is going to be busy. :p

Bees should be here any day!!! I don't know wether I should :celebrate or :hide . This is my first time so I hope it goes well for the bees and me.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:D Thanks!

A friend on BYC lives in bear country and he was explaining to me that he makes a bee yard with electric fence around the hive and he hangs bacon on the fence. Seems to work for him and a few others I have talked to about it.

I would not want to share my honey with bears,skunks or any other varmit!! :rant

I will keep you posted when I get the bees. :D