pear harvest

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
not the biggest harvest ever but its our first! very excited!
20210709_200655.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told that it's best to pick pears while they are still hard, as they are one of the very few fruits that continues to ripen off the tree. If you leave them on the tree you risk getting hard woody spots, but if you pick them just a little underripe they develop that wonderful buttery texture.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No pears here; I'd like to plant one. We have a peach tree that died and came back from below the graft joint, so I have no idea what is there, although I know it was supposed to be a dwarf. The leaves look like peach, but it's about 4 years old and never had a blossom.
I don't know how difficult peaches are to graft. BUT, if they are as easy as apple trees, it would be a cinch to graft a known variety onto your existing root stock.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's a few in there, about like finding waldo though. South side bore fruit, north side nothing that I can see. Last frost got the north side of the tree. A couple more weeks and they should be ready to pick, they are still very hard.
IMG_20210719_122620225_HDR.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lovely. My grafted Seckel pear is about 4' tall this year. Finally putting on some size. I need to cut one of the scion grafts off, so it will have a strong leader. May try air layering the second scion graft before cutting it off next spring.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have two wild pear trees in our woods. The pears were very small, rock hard, and gritty. I still made a cobbler out of them, and it was good! Since then part of one of the trees broke off, or maybe the whole tree fell down. There have been so many trees falling down, I can't keep track.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No pears here; I'd like to plant one. We have a peach tree that died and came back from below the graft joint, so I have no idea what is there, although I know it was supposed to be a dwarf. The leaves look like peach, but it's about 4 years old and never had a blossom.