Peeling free-range eggs?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH and I still haven't figured out how to peel free-range hard boiled eggs. Why are the shells so different? How do you peel them? (Or don't you?)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because they're fresh!!

I always use the oldest eggs for hard boiling. I run them under cold water right after boiling and they usually peel ok. Someone said add vinegar to the water maybe? Hmm I'll go try to find where I read something like that...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Salt in the boiling water and ice water bath. Search the forum, I think there was a thread.

I the freshest eggs are best for hard boiled eggs!

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
There is, I can't seem to post the link via my phone

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the answer I got a few years back when I had the same question. You can peel fresh hard boiled eggs if you cook them like this. Bring enough water to cover your eggs to a boil. Gently use a large spoon to place each egg in the boiling water. Boil 14 minutes. Remove from boiling water and submerge in enough cold water with ice cubes (needs to be very cold). Wait until the eggs have cooled down, crack all around and peel. Shell should come off without ripping the white.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have tried fresh eggs and month-old eggs. Couldn't tell a difference.

I have not tried putting eggs into water that is already boiling. And I've always cheated and used cold tap water (well water), but never ice cubes.

I haven't tried salt or vinegar in the boiling water. Vinegar makes sense, as it would start to decalcify the shell.

I've been poaching eggs for egg salad, but my kids love deviled eggs and I've always wanted to try the hard boiled eggs wrapped in sausage. Scottish egg?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A trick for peeling fresh eggs my MIL taught me that works but you don't always get a perfectly smooth egg: Crack the cool, hard-boiled egg lightly all over, then using a spoon carefully sandwiched between the egg and the shell so that the spoon is conforming to the shape of the egg, gradually loosen the shell from the egg.

Jo-Ann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This is the only way I've found to boil eggs that are easy to peel. Place eggs in a pot with cold water to cover. Bring to a boil & boil for 5 minutes. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, gently crack the egg shells under the boiling water. Boil for another 5 minutes. Place in ice-cold water until chilled. The shells should come off easily. Your timing may vary according to your altitude.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the method I wrote above, but once in a while I get a stubborn one. I'm going to try your method next time.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like to put to put a hole in the egg with a safety pin and then boil.

The trouble with our farm fresh eggs is the shell is really thick and fresh making them harder to peel.

The method above makes it easy to peel after sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days or when first boiled and set in cold water.