Peeling free-range eggs?

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moon I thought you said you didn't have and cooking ninja skills. It sounds like you can boil (and peel) an egg!

Bruce

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Use EE eggs ;)

Weird I know but at Easter this year there were 14 boiled eggs, half from the 3 EEs the other half from the White Rocks and Black Australorps. They were all from the 2 Y/O hens, not the 5 Y/Os and naturally "dyed" by the hens. We play an "egg fight" game (wife's family tradition), two people hit either the pointy end or more round end of their egg against the same end of their opponent's egg. Keep going with other people until both ends of your egg have cracked, last one with a non cracked egg wins .... nothing. I tried to cheat since I know Penelope (EE) lays some really thick shelled eggs. She let me down, I lost on both ends (*), should have checked to see which hen's egg beat her.

In any case everyone who had an EE egg had a fairly easy time peeling, those with the brown eggs MUCH harder with some loss of white even while being very careful. The EE people were on to their second egg before the brown egg people started eating their first!

I didn't have any older eggs, none more than maybe 3 days. My boiling method is:
  1. Eggs covered in cold tap water
  2. Bring to a boil
  3. Turn off
  4. Leave eggs in the water until it has cooled sufficiently that I can take the eggs out with my hand.
(except this year I did it late at night and forgot to take them out until the morning)

I've NEVER had an over or undercooked egg this way, super easy, no timer necessary, no chalky blue/green yolk. I did try steaming them once as there are suggestions that makes them easier to peel. I THINK it worked but I don't remember the exact process and didn't feel like looking it up Saturday at 10:30 PM.

* That is what I get for trying to gain an advantage from insider information!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Smiley-Welcome-82399.gif

Good to have you with us, Bruce, and a good egg story!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bring water to boil, gently add eggs and cook 10 minutes.

Drain. Gently crack eggs and run cold water into pan.

After a few seconds I start peeling under the cold water.

For me it works on all my fresh eggs from silkie and ameraucana to brahma and new hampshire.

Well all but one specific EEs egg. It's a distinctive looking eggs thankfully. Only good for scrambling or baking as the white sticks to the membrane and I have to scoop it out with my finger.