People living SS all around us, once you notice.....

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I am a big fan of wheel, and some weeks ago a lady was on there whos hobby was solar baking.

Than last night, a girl who raises chickens to sell the eggs and eat them.

Have you noticed this recently? Or is it just me?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of people sticking their toes in the water. I am the one of few that has taken it to this level in my circle of friends and family.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Everyone I know thinks I am weird. Once people find out that I have chickens it puts me in a league all my own :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think in this economy more and more folks are going to be "testing the SS water".

Look at the huge boom in backyard chickens, rabbits and gasoline gardens (the new victory garden title). They seem to be everywhere!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think alot of people are SS---where I live it is very normal to have a few chickens in the yard...literally. Driving along to the stores there are chickens walking around people's yards..LOL

And many have horses and always 1 or 2 beef cattle in with their horses.

So maybe it is location based?

I know more neighborhood/city people are trying a garden. But while that is a great step...it will be about as far as they go.

I think also majority of people are doing it more for frugal reasons. While eating your own good veggies is great, again, it saves money and gives them good food, but they sure aren't going to stop using the dryer or shut off the heat and buy a woodstove or something more dramatic....but every bit helps the earth what little we relieve the pressure on it.

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
I don't know anyone who is truly SS (including myself). Like Wifezilla said, it's toe-dipping for the most part.

Personally, we have big dreams of getting there, but realize it's kind of a long road for us. We started with chickens. Next is rabbits, garden, water supply, milk goat, and pressure canner.

Little by little, we'll get there.

But the trend in that direction definitely seems to be on the rise.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am awfully skeptical about that presidential garden. I wonder just how many weeds the First Lady actually pulled and how many were pulled by garden "staffers". It is just me.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am awfully skeptical about that presidential garden. I wonder just how many weeds the First Lady actually pulled and how many were pulled by garden "staffers". It is just me.
:lol: Just enough for a great photo op I'm sure. It is a step in the right direction. :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
As I read it, the First Lady is promoting healthy choices and produce, not self sufficiency.