People living SS all around us, once you notice.....

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
As I read it, the First Lady is promoting healthy choices and produce, not self sufficiency.
That is still a good thing. :) But if that was all she was promoting, then she should have had her photo op in a grocery store produce section. Would seem easier eh?

What I had heard about the garden (somewhere else) was that it also shows folks how cheap and easy it is to grow your own healthy food at home. (O.k. I hate to admit it, but it was a topic on one of my favorite shows last night..."The biggest looser" :p They all helped pick the produce, they made a giant salad and calculated the cost @ 12.00 for all 8 or more to eat. )

I think it sends a good message (be it a self sufficient one or one on eating healthier out of your own home-grown garden) no matter if she is actually tending the garden 100% or 1%. JMHO

What isn't contaminated these days? Contaminated soil can be fixed, I had a friend who had to do it. It was not that easy, but she did it and now has a lovely veggie garden. (She dug and removed all the old soil and replaced it with a load of organic soil. There were probably other steps she had to take, but it can be done.)

Like FarmerChick lots of folks around here are semi self sufficient...so I don't stand out at all. I actually need to catch up with most of them! :D

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
From the white house back to your local neighbors house, how many people thought you were weird (don't make kick out my weird gifs) and point and laugh?

I had to hit the store yesterday evening after hunting, I had to pick up some bread, tp, hand soap, fruit, spices, corn flakes, light bulbs, dish soap, and some butter.

What? I didn't have to pick up eggs or meat, or even some veg.... :D

But standing in line was my Dentist, dressed in a suit and made eye contact. Wait one... It wasn't a collar issue, blue/white, I would have thought he would say hello. Giving the decor in his office of duck hunting... I was kinda eager to mention Sarah to him as duck/bird hunters talk bird dog lingo.

He made eye contact with me and looked down, coming from the field, I haven't shaved for 6 days, I didn't approach him and say "whats up doc". But as a so called duck hunter, attire is subject to what you have been doing.

If this was any indication of me flying below the income radar, I'll take it... Who likes suits anyway? I don't need a suit to make me feel good, I need to accomplish something that matters.

I didn't see what he was buying, but sure will make for good conversation in three months when I visit with him.

I have a new quote I want to share.... NSJM style

Not that I have to, but because I can.

:plbb

:thumbsup

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace said:
Everyone I know thinks I am weird. Once people find out that I have chickens it puts me in a league all my own :rolleyes:
I'm with Dace here. Maybe it's a SoCal thing? Not many people here own chickens or even grow their own produce.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Funny you should mention how you looked at the grocery store...

Here I sit, hands still full of soot from starting a fire, hair looks like I've been under a helicopter, my jeans are filthy from riding my horse bareback and digging in the garden. I have a dirty sweat shirt on that got dirty trying to catch my last "wild" rooster that I sold later in the day. Who knows what my face looks like, cause I have not looked in a mirror since I woke up this morning...I do know it has a smile on it and that is all that matters to me.

I walked right into Lowes this evening looking like I just mentioned and purchased a well water filter. Who knows what everyone else thought when they saw me. :gig I walked through that silly store feeling so good after the "full" day I had and all that I accomplished... Looking back, I would love to know what they were thinking actually. I think I would get a big kick out of it! :p

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
Dace said:
Everyone I know thinks I am weird. Once people find out that I have chickens it puts me in a league all my own :rolleyes:
I'm with Dace here. Maybe it's a SoCal thing? Not many people here own chickens or even grow their own produce.
People around here raise animals and so forth, but we still stand out somehow. I guess my husband is always talking about whatever he's building or what animal he's acquiring - at work. So the guys always think of him if they have extra materials - or livestock :ep - to get rid of. Sometimes that works in our favor. It looks like we're about to get some free Californian rabbits to start our rabbit-rearing. Free is good most of the time!

They raz him about it, but it works in our favor - that's what i meant to say....not sure if i got there. :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have only lived in this house for two years. In that time, I have gone from zero to over 20 chickens, 6 muscovy ducks, over 100 quail, seasonal meat birds, and hopefully soon to be goats, and hopefully a pig (also two horses, but those aren't SS)

While driving around doing my errands, I notice houses that have been for sale, and new peole move in. Three homes out in the country are now totally transformed to hobby farms similar to what we are creating here. One home in our small town, very recently purchased. has a goat in the back yard.

It seems that there are other like minded people who had a dream to move to the country and start being more self sustaining, whereas the original farmers, just farm--they raise their corn, soybeans and wheat.

It kind makes me sad--the people withthe big farms and they don't raise thier own critters, while there are so many people in the cities who would love to have a slice of their country life.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Speaking of walking into places looking like crapola....my son spent the entire day with his FFA class butchering hogs. With blood up to his thighs, boots soaked in blood and smelling like the worst thing imaginable, we walked into a local eatery to take home a quick meal. Neither of us had eaten since breakfast and it was about 6:30PM.

As we are standing in line to place our take home order, we were gathering many disgusted looks! Now, mind you, we are in the middle of Deliverance country here and we are garnering these kind of stares. :rolleyes:

Finally, one woman looked at my son and asked him why he was bloody and he told her he had been butchering hogs. She made a face like she was eating poop and couldn't get past the smell of it, and said, loudly, "EWWW!".......

...then returned to eating her pork BBQ sandwich! :rolleyes: :lol:

I live out in the backwoods of the backwoods and I still get stares, comments, ridicule and the usual idiocy about my lifestyle on this little acre. I don't see many folks around here trying to be SS at all and they act like it's the weirdest thing in the world that I would want to do so. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is something I (almost) never do is go shopping in farm clothes.

even after I road my horse or any garden/tractor/animal work---I change, brush and hairspray my hair into decent, make sure make up is good and hit the store.

see that is why I have alot of laundry...hahaha...I won't go into stores coming right off the farm.

Only time is if I am in the middle of something big, and must go to the hardware store with Tony during a monster project.

For me, I don't want to be in stores looking like a farm slob. (And for me I do look like a real slob--I am one of those---when I look bad I look very bad.) So for me I have to change and be sure I am presentable.

Just something I have to do for me! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I LOVE it when I am in the grocery store (for this one thrill only) and look at my basket compared to the other ones.

I have milk, pop (I am evil), TP, dishsoap, and bananas. I never buy (nor want nor need) grocery store meat, eggs, or veg. I go to the day old bread store when I need bread. (I also must go to the health food store for Gluten free noodles and flour but that is another trip) I go to the store about once a month or so for the TP. Meanwhile the others in line have carts FULL of processed junk and truly gross meats.

As far as what I LOOK like when shopping ... well I learned my lesson about being judgmental a long time back. I was in a grocery store shopping when I laid my eyes on a fellow shopper. His hair was long and wild, he had on a dirty sweatshirt, torn jeans, a ripped jacket and holey tennis shoes. How disgusting. Imagine someone coming to shop looking like that!

The next isle over I walked past a glass doored freezer case and caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection ...
My hair was long and wild, I had on a dirty sweatshirt, my jeans were torn out at both knees, my jacket pocket was ripped nearly off and I had on muddy crocs! :lol: That man actually looked better than me! :ep Hmmm. :lol: