People living SS all around us, once you notice.....

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Meanwhile the others in line have carts FULL of processed junk and truly gross meats.
LOL

You should see the looks I get! Meat, meat, coffee, meat, cream, cheese, meat, butter, coconut milk, veggies and meat.

(I low carb :D )

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I LOVE it when I am in the grocery store (for this one thrill only) and look at my basket compared to the other ones.

I have milk, pop (I am evil), TP, dishsoap, and bananas. I never buy (nor want nor need) grocery store meat, eggs, or veg. I go to the day old bread store when I need bread. (I also must go to the health food store for Gluten free noodles and flour but that is another trip) I go to the store about once a month or so for the TP. Meanwhile the others in line have carts FULL of processed junk and truly gross meats.

As far as what I LOOK like when shopping ... well I learned my lesson about being judgmental a long time back. I was in a grocery store shopping when I laid my eyes on a fellow shopper. His hair was long and wild, he had on a dirty sweatshirt, torn jeans, a ripped jacket and holey tennis shoes. How disgusting. Imagine someone coming to shop looking like that!

The next isle over I walked past a glass doored freezer case and caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection ...
My hair was long and wild, I had on a dirty sweatshirt, my jeans were torn out at both knees, my jacket pocket was ripped nearly off and I had on muddy crocs! :lol: That man actually looked better than me! :ep Hmmm. :lol:
hilarious!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Yeah...I love carbs. They don't love me. Every once in a while I fall off the wagon. With in 2 days my blood pressure it through the roof, I am bloated and I feel horrible. Then I just have a steak or a sugar-free peanut butter/chocolate mousse with dark chocolate pieces and sugar-free whipped cream and I feel all better :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I am low carb also.

while I eat everything, bagels etc....if I overdo them the bloat in the gut is unreal.

I eat like Atkins menu mainly and honestly it makes one feel so much better.

when I do eat carbs, I eat 1/2. 1/2 a bagel and no other types of refined carbs for the day. maybe a bunch of crackers with tuna, no other white carbs for the day.

it is the easiest way I know to stay "feeling good in the guts" for me!!

And it is so important to feel good!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I haven't really noticed a rise in raising animals, but I sure have in having gardens. This year, it seeemed as if every yard had some sort of garden in it. My greenhouse sales doubled, too.

I think gardening is an easy first step. Maybe not so much as in a mindset of self sufficiency, but in just trying to save a little bit of money.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Gardening has increased. I had a heck of a time getting seeds locally for a while there. Of course, now I am on a couple of seed swap trains (BYC and TheEasyGarden) so I have a good variety.

I also just ordered 2 lbs of sprouting seeds. Not because I am in to sprouting, but because it was cheaper to buy the sprouting seeds than the planting seeds of the same variety.

The math...
7g packet of organic daikon radish seeds was $2.45 (35/g)
Another source was $1.89 for 1.5g ($1.26/g)
1 lb bag of organic daikon radish sprouting seeds was $8 + $4 shipping (There are 453.6 g/lb, so 2.6/g)

So I got 1 lb of daikon seeds and 1 lb of cress.
($14.50/lb + $4 shipping = 4.1/g)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The area I live in is pretty rural compared to most in San Diego. But people still stop and gawk at my chickens. You can't see my garden and yard from the street but on occasionally people stop by. They are very surprised at what they see. When I tell them what the fruit trees are they cant believe it.

The kicker is when I ride my John Deer lawn tractor down the hill and load my kids into the trailer at the end of their school day. People actually point. What? Why wouldn't I give my kids a ride. It was a hot day and they were tired.

Funny people!!!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I am awfully skeptical about that presidential garden. I wonder just how many weeds the First Lady actually pulled and how many were pulled by garden "staffers". It is just me.
I read about it. The garden is "maintained" by the White House chef. Something tells me he is pretty busy too. Which means the chef says "I want _____ pounds of veggie/ fruits" and a gardener plants and tends it. But they are trying at least.

They are growing the veggies they use in the fancy White House dinner events organically. Which is saving on a food bill that was probably huge. All those other Presidents were probably passing that expense along to us.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I applaud the efforts of Mrs. Obama. But I hardly think that tiny patch of earth they turned in the grassy lawn could produce anywhere near enough for a white house dinner. Most likely the Chef has it delivered.