Perplexing Question for Chicken Owners (Need an Opinion)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
You guys are too cute. I'll even watch the sequels and buy my granddaughter the BB action figure.
Whats your opinion SD?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think they are gone, hon. I had one that was wanting to be broody out in the woods. She lasted about a day. I don't know how rural or wild it is by you, but it sounds like a predator of some sort would have the area staked out. I don't think chickens could survive that long, perhaps better in summer, but we just came off of a cold winter. In my area, just the neighbor dogs can be deadly and I believe they got a few of mine that were free ranging.

I sure HOPE they turn up. Woudn't that be nice. You hear stories. On BYC someone was telling a tale similar to the one on here, of someone's chicken surviving a long time. Just not likely.

I "free range" mine within a fenced area only now.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't read the whole thread...

I have a mexican fighting hen, which is a cross of mille fleur and modern game hens...I swear she's part pidgeon too.

They are a group of chickens that got loose from local cock fighting rings and went feral. They sleep in trees, Bam Bam is very aerodynamic and can fly like a normal bird. She's aggressive, which def saves her against my labrador. However she's the best chicken, she rides in the car with us and goes in to stores.

So its possible for any chicken to live in the wild :)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I'd just like to know where the poop came from. The was found 1700 feet from the coop. They NEVER range that far out.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few of my chickens would often range as far as the other side of the ballfield next to my house. We're talking 600 yards or more. I would regularly have to go rescue one or two that got trapped in the 4' fencing around each individual field.
Got the heifers somewhat confined now, cause the ones that didn't range that far were eating my stuff! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It doesn't do any good to speculate. You need to INVESTIGATE.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
It doesn't do any good to speculate. You need to INVESTIGATE.
CSI Kentucky - The Poop Diaries..........

Buff, I hope you get an answer! ;)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chickens live wild in other countries LOL.

A hen like my last polish, I don't know if they could live wild. My dog was the end of her, and she was always the targets of hens and dogs.

Hens likemy brahmas,barred rocks, your RIRs, much more likelyto survive on their own. Brahmas are cold weather hens, they def could survive your winters. RIRs too.

Sorry, space bar working when it wants, not going to fix lol.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm thinking there is a flock of monster chicken's in them there woods!!!! The poop you saw was from a pullet. Be careful you might get flogged from a monster Momma hen. Walk softly and carry a BIG stick!!!!

Where I live we have a heavy coyote population. People let chickens and roosters out into the public city park. For whatever reason. Every once in a while I see one up on the hill in the woods. It surprises me they last but they do. Is there a chance the chicken could have come from someone else's flock?

You never know. :idunno