Perspective

Reaction score
Please do, I used to donate to United Way through payroll contribution. Then I found out some ridiculously low amount was actually getting through to the needy. Of course it could have been someone with an ax to grind. Amazing what people can accomplish through the media. Right now we just contribute to the Dumb Friends league.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Okay, here are 3 sites that can do what I promised:

charitywatch.org

charitynavigator.org

directrelief.org

I plugged in my favorite charity ever: Heifer International. I just about passed out. I can't believe I hadn't done this one before! Here are the results: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=9654

I'm going to have to seriously rethink contributing to them ever again.

ETA: The really excellent part about charitynavigator is that right below Heifer's ratings are a list of other charities doing similar work, including their ratings. So while I probably will ditch Heifer, I now have a heads up on some others doing the same thing, only better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
on charities, seriously your $20 donation is best given to a local at home to help your community charity.

when donating to the "big guys" they have become corporations. alot of $ goes to administration costs, etc. I know these charities do good and their work does get to other countries etc....I still think FOR ME I will stay with local charities where my money is put to great use directly in front of my face.

When I worked at CIGNA in Connecticut (way back then in the corporate world), it was mandatory to give to United Way. Mandatory. A % was automatically taken out for donation. This pissed off so many of us employees. We were told where to give our money for charity and that didn't set well with alot of people. I for one wanted to fund some of MY charities but in the end, only so much money can be taken from one's paycheck....so those forced United Way deductions meant other charities did not receive. People should have the right to say where their charitiable donations are sent...not mandatory with your company. CIGNA was a huge supporter of UW and let the world know it, were real proud of it, but yea, it was forced!!

I don't know, charity is a hard call on how much of the money is used to the original goal.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh my friend at work long ago said they joined a charity organization.

they set goals of how much to get thru phone calls.

It was like 50% of all proceeds from the day went to management, telemarketers got like 30% of the take, 10% to admin costs etc....and 5% to something else and so on....and I think he said that "maybe" just maybe--about 2% ever went to the research for this medical charity they were "collecting" for. Truly a scam I think are alot of charities. We all have to be so careful.

When people hand free money to charities (um, like handing free money to humans), the corruption tease is huge.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I used to work strictly through grants. So I know a bit about how that all works. It's like a necessary evil. If you have a huge charitable organization, either you get everyone to volunteer to make it run--and the bigger it is, the more people you need--or you will definitely have to put a large chunk of dough into their salaries.

ETA: Required donations, though? Yikes! I thought that's what taxes were.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
DH's workplace tried forced contributions to United Way. A UW representative made a presentation to the employees and set their site a unbelievably high goal. There was a considerable backlash to forced contributions by the employees. This program was dropped for a voluntary contribution system.
A few weeks later the UW chairman was prosecuted for embezzlement and mishandling of UW funds. Orgies.

We have given to the charities of our choice directly.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Orgies????

oh wow that is what my forced money bought! And I wasn't invited???
UGH

seriously, that just ticks me off to know that.

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH's company has forced contributions too. Anyone over a certain paygrade has to "redonate" a portion of their salary to United Way. The corporation was getting all sorts of great publicity for "their" donations and good works!

They finally got it so that the employees could "donate" time to a charitable organization of their choice - but they had to prove it!

This is the same organization that once told employees that if their spouses did not show up for a company sponsored event they would not get their bonus. You were given tickets with your name and your spouse's, if you had one and there was a check in! Bizzarro land.

See they're not spending "other people's money" They are doing charity and not defrauding the investors! Everybody wins!

NOT!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW that company was worse than mine definitely but I left CIGNA over 15 years ago so who knows what is forced now?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
There has got to be something in it for these companies to be pushing so hard for United Way. Maybe a tax break or write off for total amount collected off the backs of the employees contributions.
I don't think my cynicism is too misplaced after reading others experiences. :tongue