Pet Hamster

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Reminds me of some friends that had a pet white mouse. They just kept him in a regular metal cage with a wheel in it. He was happy at first, would run on that wheel most of the night (they could hear the wheel squeaking in the next room). Then, he apparently got bored with just running, and he started running as fast as he could for a few minutes and then just grip the wheel and let it carry him around and around like a ferris wheel for a bit. Eventually that palled also. The day they found him clinging upside down from the top of the cage and just spinning the wheel with one "hand" while he watched the wheel spin, they decided to open the cage. For the next couple of years, he had the run of the house, but always returned to his cage to eat and sleep. It was sort of bizarre to come over, be sitting on the couch and suddenly see a movement out of the corner of your eye. Turn and look and this little white mouse is sitting up, whiskers moving, right by your head, apparently just watching and listening to you. I believe he finally got an infected spider bite that killed him, but he was already pretty old for a mouse-- about 3 years old.
Made me laugh! Incredible!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hamster grain seedlings are popping up. I found whole einkorn (an ancient wheat) today at a bulk goods store and bought some to plant.

There are seedlings growing in her cage too! I'm excited for this! I gave DS7 a plant light to put on top of her cage.

plant light might have UV and not be great for creatures and DS7 if he's watching the hamster (or you for that matter :) ).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Having bred parakeets in my basement for 12 years, and doing a little research on the effects of lack of sunlight, my first reaction was that if the plant grow light had any UV in it, it would be healthy for the hamster.

for shorter lived creatures it might be ok, but for longer lived creatures you could be risking diseases like cataracts or skin cancers, some UV is probably ok or even required but too much may cause problems.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
for shorter lived creatures it might be ok, but for longer lived creatures you could be risking diseases like cataracts or skin cancers, some UV is probably ok or even required but too much may cause problems.
Hamsters are nocturnal and burrow during the day so I think they would be fine with any light?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hamsters are nocturnal and burrow during the day so I think they would be fine with any light?

hope so but i'm no expert! :) my main concern is not as much with normal lights but specifically plant or marine lights which may have more UV. if the hamster isn't out when the light is on then it's probably going to be ok. :) me just being too paranoid...

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I added more soil and some pine pellets to the master's cage. I planted wheat berries and alfalfa. DS8 will start a chia pet for her soon. I have an LED shop light on her cage for the plants. The light is on a timer.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Not sure I had better luck this time. 😖

Aquarium acquired, and set up. The bedding is only about 6" deep right now because I haven't made a proper lid/topper. The lid from the smaller aquarium covers the half of the cage where her wheel is - the only place she could theoretically escape.
buuuuuuuut, last night DS7 left her cage open just a teensy bit and guess who escaped again. :barnie I'd feel awful - and silly for getting this larger cage - if she doesn't return.