Pet Hamster

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
20231022_120018.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been researching soil types on the other side of the world. :gig I found a research paper on wild hamster ecology which details the soil type, depth, temperature in the burrows, etc. I have an idea of how to finish out the aquarium. (I should call it a vivarium now!) Now I need to figure out how to source the materials as economically as possible. Looks like I'll be making a big mix of play sand, clay powder, and garden soil for the burrowing layer. And a potting soil type peat blend for the growing layer. The clay powder is the part I'm stuck on. I found an economical option from a pottery supplies store - $23 for 50#. $95 shipping. NOPE. I should look for "wild" clay. I don't have a clue where, and I really don't have time or energy to wander around looking for it. :/

That and I need to make a topper. I am reading that hamsters tend to chew on wire cage regardless of the cage size and enrichment. So I'm considering ways to minimize use of wire. Maybe 3 sides wood, wire front and wire top?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hamster started burrowing finally. Boring for me since I dont see her as much, healthier for her to engage in species appropriate behavior.

Chipmunks ate the seeds I planted for her, so I started seeds in trays. Now I remember why I got in the habit of transplanting everything! Chipmunks!

yes, same we have to do here for many flowers if we want plants to actually make it. Mom does cover some seeds she plants into the gardens because she doesn't want to mess with pots and transplants, but either way it is more work than most things i plant which don't normally get bothered by the chipmunks. the squash seeds are planted too deep and by the time the melon seeds are planted the strawberry patch is coming on ripening so they will target that instead of almost anything else other than the soybeans (i'm not growing any of those this season).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
plant light might have UV and not be great for creatures and DS7 if he's watching the hamster (or you for that matter :) ).
it's an LED shop light. soft white. My houseplants do better with soft white than a grow light spectrum, so the hamster seeds are going to have to make do with it