Pet Hamster

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Since this is in the frugal living section (even though I am discussing a luxury), the 55 gallon aquarium was $65, with fish supplies, filters, etc. included. They retail $200 (although aquarium are often discounted down to $1/gallon sales). A similar size hamster cage costs $300, and a popular DIY IKEA hack cage costs $80 plus whatever else I bought at IKEA "because I'm here" plus like 400 miles of driving.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Kids picked a bucket of dandelion greens for hamster. They are in the dehydrator now. We will use them for enrichment and supplemental feeding over winter.

I'm impatient for clover to bloom. I plan to dehydrate clover flowers for winter too.

I bought 1# of lentils and 1# of split peas to add to her seed blend. They will last forever 😁 they were each <$2 at the grocery store.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when i was into aquariums i did have a nice 55 gallon tank. i really wanted 110 gallons instead but i don't think the house i was staying in would have supported that much weight. the price was about $150 and it was a long long time ago. when i moved i sold off all my aquarium tanks and supplies. it was a fun hobby and i enjoyed it much more than tv, but there was no way those tanks would have survived all the moving i did afterwards. here i am now and there's not room for a big tank or even little ones. there's a big difference between renting a whole house and having one small room. :)

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You are a good mom, I couldn't even say yes to taking the class fish for the summer! (not that we don't already have a fish) hopefully she stays comfy and cozy in her new home.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't keep a fish alive! I don't dare try a reptile or amphibian. I'm a mammal person. :gig
We got our fish from the CSA farm-it was housed in the duck pond over the summer, she is still alive and kicking but I think it is because I literally don't change her water until it is orange :) She seems to be in heaven

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have been researching soil types on the other side of the world. :gig I found a research paper on wild hamster ecology which details the soil type, depth, temperature in the burrows, etc. I have an idea of how to finish out the aquarium. (I should call it a vivarium now!) Now I need to figure out how to source the materials as economically as possible. Looks like I'll be making a big mix of play sand, clay powder, and garden soil for the burrowing layer. And a potting soil type peat blend for the growing layer. The clay powder is the part I'm stuck on. I found an economical option from a pottery supplies store - $23 for 50#. $95 shipping. NOPE. I should look for "wild" clay. I don't have a clue where, and I really don't have time or energy to wander around looking for it. :/

That and I need to make a topper. I am reading that hamsters tend to chew on wire cage regardless of the cage size and enrichment. So I'm considering ways to minimize use of wire. Maybe 3 sides wood, wire front and wire top?