Pet Hamster

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
That and I need to make a topper. I am reading that hamsters tend to chew on wire cage regardless of the cage size and enrichment.
I learned that burrowing substrate depth is associated with bar-biting. Hamsters in captivity don't chew on wire cages when they have bedding that is 31" deep. (the study looked at bedding that was 16" and 31" deep). I can get up to 20" deep in the aquarium I have by adding a wire topper.

It seems that I could mix burrowing soil substrate that is 1 part clay and 4 parts sand. It might be possible to cut this in half with garden soil (I like this plan).

24 gallons or 3.25 cubic feet or 247 pounds of garden soil
19 gallons or 2.5 cubic feet or 225 pounds of play sand
5 gallons or .66 cubic feet or 45 pounds of clay

517 pounds. Sounds like a lot but a 55 gallon aquarium can handle 600 - 700 pounds. Should be okay! ...until the day I need to empty it out or move it.... o_O

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Reminds me of some friends that had a pet white mouse. They just kept him in a regular metal cage with a wheel in it. He was happy at first, would run on that wheel most of the night (they could hear the wheel squeaking in the next room). Then, he apparently got bored with just running, and he started running as fast as he could for a few minutes and then just grip the wheel and let it carry him around and around like a ferris wheel for a bit. Eventually that palled also. The day they found him clinging upside down from the top of the cage and just spinning the wheel with one "hand" while he watched the wheel spin, they decided to open the cage. For the next couple of years, he had the run of the house, but always returned to his cage to eat and sleep. It was sort of bizarre to come over, be sitting on the couch and suddenly see a movement out of the corner of your eye. Turn and look and this little white mouse is sitting up, whiskers moving, right by your head, apparently just watching and listening to you. I believe he finally got an infected spider bite that killed him, but he was already pretty old for a mouse-- about 3 years old.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Reminds me of some friends that had a pet white mouse. They just kept him in a regular metal cage with a wheel in it. He was happy at first, would run on that wheel most of the night (they could hear the wheel squeaking in the next room). Then, he apparently got bored with just running, and he started running as fast as he could for a few minutes and then just grip the wheel and let it carry him around and around like a ferris wheel for a bit. Eventually that palled also. The day they found him clinging upside down from the top of the cage and just spinning the wheel with one "hand" while he watched the wheel spin, they decided to open the cage. For the next couple of years, he had the run of the house, but always returned to his cage to eat and sleep. It was sort of bizarre to come over, be sitting on the couch and suddenly see a movement out of the corner of your eye. Turn and look and this little white mouse is sitting up, whiskers moving, right by your head, apparently just watching and listening to you. I believe he finally got an infected spider bite that killed him, but he was already pretty old for a mouse-- about 3 years old.
Made me laugh! Incredible!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My hamster started burrowing finally. Boring for me since I dont see her as much, healthier for her to engage in species appropriate behavior.

Chipmunks ate the seeds I planted for her, so I started seeds in trays. Now I remember why I got in the habit of transplanting everything! Chipmunks!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My hamster started burrowing finally. Boring for me since I dont see her as much, healthier for her to engage in species appropriate behavior.

Chipmunks ate the seeds I planted for her, so I started seeds in trays. Now I remember why I got in the habit of transplanting everything! Chipmunks!

yes, same we have to do here for many flowers if we want plants to actually make it. Mom does cover some seeds she plants into the gardens because she doesn't want to mess with pots and transplants, but either way it is more work than most things i plant which don't normally get bothered by the chipmunks. the squash seeds are planted too deep and by the time the melon seeds are planted the strawberry patch is coming on ripening so they will target that instead of almost anything else other than the soybeans (i'm not growing any of those this season).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm pleased how this pet hamster is working out for DS7. I booted him outside with 2 foraging picture books. He also dug up some plants and put them into trays to establish for her cage. I asked him to plant maple seeds too (for me for bonsai, but he doesn't know that). He has been happy and busy outdoors most of the day. :celebrate

Latest posts