Phaedra's Journal - Eat, Play, Live

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut. Bitte verzeihen Sie mir, wenn ich einen Fehler mache. Wow, du bist ein Food-Künstler 😋

Haben Sie Rezept für Sauerkraut mit Wurst? Wir verwenden polnische Wurst und ich weib, dass das nicht die richtige Art von Wurst ist.

Danke

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
Mein Deutsch ist auch nicht so schön, weil ich aus Taiwan bin. Leider habe ich noch keine besondere Rezepte für Sauerkraut mit Wurst - wir verbrauchen sehr wenig Sauerkraut. Meine Familie mag lieber Kimchi.

My German is also not very good because I am from Taiwan. My family loves Kimchi much better, so we ate very little Sauerkraut (with sausage). Therefore, I didn't have a recommended recipe yet.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beautiful! Those look amazing! Can you share a recipe?
I don't have a recipe; you only need to melt different kinds of chocolate and reassemble them.
My suggestion is to start with white chocolate (when the cacao content is higher than 30% is better, but whatever is available and easy to buy is always a good start) and dark chocolate (I use 85% and 70% mainly).

Ordinary milk chocolate, nuts, and dried berries are also nice for the initial practices - melting, re-forming (with silicone molds), cooling, de-molding, and done.

This is my praline-making box, and I am also a newbie explorer in this chocolate galaxy. :frow

931.jpg

Last edited:

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tsukimi-Style Rice

Tsukimi is a term from Japanese and can be used as a type of cuisine with one egg in the center of the dish, either raw or sunny-side up, with the yolk representing the full moon.
1005_0.jpg

The chicken skins, meaty bones (I always debone the chicken thighs and use the meat for other dishes), and tallow are sometimes taken as scraps and discarded. Such wastes are unbelievable.

Well, first, the chicken skin and beef tallow - I usually cut them into smaller pieces, season them with salt and spices, and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days.
895_2.jpg

With the middle-high heat (and some patience), we will get lovely cracklings and flavored oil.
994.jpg

992.jpg

I fried chopped scallion and smashed ginger in the oil; the final product is like this and can be used for many dishes. It can stay fresh in the fridge for weeks and in the freezer for at least one year. It will immediately boost umami and flavors to clear soup, noodles, rice, etc. I would love to share more about such seasonings in the future.
991.jpg

And I used chicken bones, garlic, and tomatoes to make today's broth. Pan-frying the meaty bones and garlic for 5-10 minutes first, and the broth will have a much richer flavor.
1012.jpg

I used this broth to cook the rice then.
993.jpg

This Tsukimi-style Rice is a reunion of a few cheap ingredients. However, like a Shepherd's Pie or Farmer's Casserole, it's humble but won't let down.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am cleaning and decorating the house, meanwhile, making some wonderful home food without waste.

Most of our home dishes are cost-effective and comforting.

P_20221207_153445.jpg

P_20221206_075043.jpg

P_20221205_174627.jpg

I also prepare lunchboxes for DH on weekdays.
P_20221207_073731.jpg

I made these two days some pickled vegetables and kimchi - can't wait to enjoy them.
22-12-06-10-43-46-788_deco.jpg

P_20221207_201550.jpg

Eat well, sleep well - those are so basic elements for living.
P_20221206_161256.jpg

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Happy New Year!

DH had a 10-day holiday at the end of 2022, and we stayed at home most of the time cleaning, doing groceries, fixing, and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere.

The shops here usually offer a 50% discount for Christmas-related goods. I got two such wooden boxes for five Euros and transformed them (with sandpapers and oil) into practical but lovely utensil storage in our bedroom.

1498_0.jpg

The edges were re-shaped with sandpapers, and the surfaces had an oil bath.
1497_1.jpg

Love them!
1495_0.jpg

I made some Shumai (a steamed Hong Kong cuisine) from scratch today, and it's far easier than I expected. Of course, they are flavorful and yummy.
1545_0.jpg

The filling is made of shrimp, pork, egg, some sesame oil, and salt.
1544_0.jpg

As the first meal of the new year, I'm satisfied.
1543_0.jpg

I started cleaning up the garden and planning what to grow this year. Can't wait to create another 365-day adventure in different kinds of universes - gardening, reading, cooking, sewing, candle-making, etc.

Phaedra

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have made more steamed dumplings with different ingredients. Either I make them or pay 20 Euro for 24pcs (with additional shipping cost)....way too expensive! At the end, I made about 100 pcs from the ingredients less than 20 Euros.
1624.jpg

1625.jpg

1623.jpg

I even have additional ingredients for making pork and shrimp meatballs.
1629.jpg

A noodle soup is the best of the best when it's cold outside.
1626.jpg