Pics of wind turbines jsut down the road from me...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Those pics are gorgeous!
I'd rather see farms of wind turbines than the nuclear power plant I see here. The stupid thing hasn't provided us with any cuts on our electric bills; we actually pay more than surrounding areas that are not considered in the 10 mile danger zone!!! If we had community wind turbines instead of the nuclear we wouldn't have to have Potassium Iodide tablets taped to our front door jam, either.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Never mind nukers, would you rather look at plumes of brown/yellow/greyish/black sooty smokestacks or majestic windmills whooshing away almost silently?

I live in MA where there's a huge battle right now over windmills out on Nantucket Sound (I think they're just fine) and our state senators, both, in vehement opposition - it'll hurt their property values down there on the Cape, and Nantucket, poor things :rolleyes: Or so they say, I don't think it'll do anything to harm their home values. Nevermind the fact that we shouldn't be worrying about their multimillion dollar views.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The stupid thing is that the only reason it hurts property values is because everybody runs around *figuring* it'll hurt property values. You know? If people would just ignore the darn things, it would have no effect.

Pat, generally in favor of wind farms, and would put a house-sized one up here to supplement our electricity if I had the capital to invest.

Reaction score
They should give the people that feel they have lowered property values free electricity. Maybe that would raise their values.

big bertha

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty,
Where did you take your pics at? They look very much like the ones around us.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would love to see more solar energy plans like the one in this article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10060244-54.html

I've read articles that say that our whole nation could be powered off the sun from our deserts! Way more cheaply than the construction of the wind farms and with less maintenance of the equipment. The article also noted that, since photovaltaic panels require very little maintenance and last a very long time, this would not be a big money making venture for certain manufacturers~which is probably why it isn't being done. Too simple, too cheap, too little money exchanging hands.

Definitely has a ARRRRGH! factor to it, doesn't it?

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big bertha said:
Farmer Kitty,
Where did you take your pics at? They look very much like the ones around us.
They were taken in North Central Iowa.

reinbeau said:
or majestic windmills whooshing away almost silently?
reinbeau, do you have the windmills close by? My SIL and her husband have them surrounding their place and one of the concerns in the area is the noise level and the company has paid some people in other places that they have the windmills due to noise. The noise level is about the only concern they have about them and are taking a wait and see attitude with it, really not much more they can do. It would be good to hear from people who have the windmills by them on the noise level.

johnElarue

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The local utility co. wanted to put a wind farm on the mountain range that starts directly behind us. The city and council were all for it, as of course were the construction co's. Then they started surveying for the access road to maintain and install these turbines. It was going to be right in front of my house! Found this out right a year after we move in of course. I'm all for turbines, but turning our road from a single lane, and I mean really single lane ,12ft. wide- to a road capable of trucking in 12 to 20 giant turbines?

They were talking 2 years construction just for the road. Our little dead end road would become a highway.

Golden Eagles to the rescue. Seems our area has a dozen or more pairs of Golden Eagles living up on the range. Birders came in and counted for months. The utility co. count was 2 pairs. The university was 12 or more. The plan has been put off. I hope it stays that way.

Everyone wants clean energy (well almost) but nobody wants the access road, especially me.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
reinbeau, do you have the windmills close by? My SIL and her husband have them surrounding their place and one of the concerns in the area is the noise level and the company has paid some people in other places that they have the windmills due to noise. The noise level is about the only concern they have about them and are taking a wait and see attitude with it, really not much more they can do. It would be good to hear from people who have the windmills by them on the noise level.
I don't live near them, but there are a few nearby, and I've stood under them several times just to listen, to see if they make much noise, and I have to say, at least the ones I've observed really don't make too much noise at all. You can hear them, and they do 'whoosh', but it isn't a bad sound at all, I think it's rather oceanic, if you can imagine what I mean. Seashell to the ear and all that. It wouldn't bother me to live near that, there's plenty of other noises out there that bother me more, like Logan flight paths!

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
Farmer Kitty said:
I don't live near them, but there are a few nearby, and I've stood under them several times just to listen, to see if they make much noise, and I have to say, at least the ones I've observed really don't make too much noise at all. You can hear them, and they do 'whoosh', but it isn't a bad sound at all, I think it's rather oceanic, if you can imagine what I mean. Seashell to the ear and all that. It wouldn't bother me to live near that, there's plenty of other noises out there that bother me more, like Logan flight paths!
I sure hope that's the case with my SIL's!