Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They so very much need to turn the phone. Most especially when taking video.

Phones cameras have their place. I've found they do best is good lighting and close to the subject. They just dont take very good ones from far away.

See people asking for help sexing their silkies regularly over on BYC. Always too far from the birds and the picture is dark. I have to explain to them that taking a picture inside they should turn on the flash. If it's cloudy use a flash.

Heck even outside in sunlight I use the flash sometimes. (The big flash I have to attach not the built in one) Helps get rid of shadows if you want to see a face better.

Learning to use your light properly is hard for many people I guess.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been using my phone almost exclusively recently, although I much prefer my Canon. Usually the rule for a phone is "if you have to zoom in, you're too far away." (Which also applies to many cameras). Right now we don't have a computer that can store and display my pictures for me to submit pictures from my camera. I post my messages from my phone, so that's the camera I've been using.
As far as which direction to turn the phone, for me it depends on what you're taking a picture of. I very often turn the phone, but if I'm trying to show height (say of a waterfall or something), I will often have the camera upright. I usually try to orient the frame with the subject. I'm much more aware of this with my Canon than I am using the phone. I've become very lazy/sloppy using my phone. :confused: On my phone, I usually use the automatic setting, and almost always use manual on my other camera.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuckBluetooth:lol::lol:
I'm still in the dark ages here!! I BARELY have a computer! The computers we have here are all Frankenstein's monsters that my 18 y/o cobbled together from stuff others were throwing away. One even still has floppy disks! The "laptop" is well over 10 years old. And I've been told that my picture files are way above and beyond what any of our stuff should be able to hold. I'm on restriction:hide. I want to shoot RAW, but nothing we have here will support it, and editing?? We can't even upload the programs... Those are "someday" dreams:D. By the time I've got Bluetooth, no one will know what it is anymore... :gig

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No this isn't a thief. I pay off the ravens to keep the hawks away. I'd tossed a bag of stale unsalted peanuts out a while back that they absolutely loved, even more than the eggs I think. They get the older silkie eggs, or the silkie eggs if I can't collect one day. (Broody silkies...always broody silkies)

There are a pair of them that hang out here. They will circle looking for the dogs because they know that usually they are out with me. I've finally got it through the dogs heads mostly to leave the ravens alone. The ravens noticed and are getting braver at coming down to get the eggs.

These were taken different days. Second one it had eaten it's fill and was just out there playing.

View attachment 5887

View attachment 5888
Congrats @Hinotori for getting this week's POW!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are slowly getting over their paranoia. Hopefully I can get another picture like that from closer and on a sunny day. I can get within ten feet of them if I'm on the mower, but that's no good for pictures. Mower = no dogs around.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I can't remember if I've already posted these, but here are two for you.
First sign of spring :)
IMG_20180204_162602.jpg

And the beauty of a lot of rain...
IMG_20180204_075131.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts