Status
Not open for further replies.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@FarmerJamie, breakfast this morning was blackberries and a fresh fig while I was out working. I love being able to eat them right off of the plant!

Me too... Just a word of caution though, pin worms love both black and rasp berries. I learned the hard way that eating them right off the plant is a very bad thing. I had a horrible infestation of intestine pin worms over the winter. I'm a stubrbon old (blank) and don't go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. However I found eating a tblsp of raw garlic twice a day for two weeks, killed off the pin worms. It took me a while to figure out why I was plugged up and couldn't go no matter what. After raw garlic self treatment. I'm fine now but I was in bad shape for months.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks @CrealCritter , way to remove the fun of fresh fruits. :sick

Seriously, thanks for the warming. Is a rinse in clean water good enough to get rid of the worms and their eggs? or am I destined to never eat an uncooked raspberry again in my life? On the bright side, I guess that would mean more canned raspberry sauce for cake and ice cream.

I have found worms in the raspberries when I pick them, which is why I always check thoroughly before eating them fresh off the plant. Seriously, I have broken them into tiny little pieces inorder to make sure there were no worms in them. Never knew what the worms were or if they were dangerous to eat or not, but the yuck factor made me be careful. I have found I have some OCD tendencies - turns out sometimes they are good.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @CrealCritter , way to remove the fun of fresh fruits. :sick

Seriously, thanks for the warming. Is a rinse in clean water good enough to get rid of the worms and their eggs? or am I destined to never eat an uncooked raspberry again in my life? On the bright side, I guess that would mean more canned raspberry sauce for cake and ice cream.

I have found worms in the raspberries when I pick them, which is why I always check thoroughly before eating them fresh off the plant. Seriously, I have broken them into tiny little pieces inorder to make sure there were no worms in them. Never knew what the worms were or if they were dangerous to eat or not, but the yuck factor made me be careful. I have found I have some OCD tendencies - turns out sometimes they are good.

Years and years I eat them off the bushes, never had a problem until last year. I told my doctor about it and he said its very common. I don't know if just washing the berries will kill the worms and eggs or not but cooking them I suspect would be a sure kill. My takeaway from all this was, I need to eat garlic every so often. So i've added raw garlic to my diet and eat it at least once a week. Garlic has lots of health benefits anyways.

On a side note... I went to my doctor for my annual 6 month blood work results. He read my results and said "your healthy as a bull ox". That made me very happy.

Last edited:

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lol I spent a GOOD part of last night reading up on this. I couldnt find any specific references to pin worms and berries specifically but it appears that pin worms are easy to get from many many surfaces. (They can live up to 2 or 3 weeks on hard surfaces. One article estimated 50% of Aamericans already have them but many people have no symptoms. Eeeeeww!) Most references to worms on fruit seem to indicate that their food is the fruit, and are not likely to survive the digestive process. Given the likelihood that is probably get pin worms anyway, I'll continue to eat my fresh fruits and veggies straight from the garden. Adding a little protein along the way once in a while probably won't hurt.
Considering what's in or on the fruit I buy from the grocery store, I'll take my chances.

That being said, several sites recommend brining berries in a very salty water, then rinsing well. Others say to soak in Apple cider vinegar, then rinse well.

@CrealCritter, we eat a LOT of fresh garlic here. Now I have one more good reason. One of the sites even listen berries (Apple cider vinegar, garlic and others) as a way to get RID of pin worms! :barnieThat's a rabbit hole that's very deep and winding! Who knows what the right answer is?

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know I've already shared a bunch of pictures but everything is blooming here. Here are a few more pictures (mostly from my neighbor's yard but shes always sending stuff this way.)

A new day lily opened today;
20190628_100746.jpg

An orange cana lily:
20190628_100624.jpg

Tiger lilies:
20190628_090928.jpg

?? I don't know this one yet. It's a big bush. Possibly Camellia:
20190628_090350.jpg

A big overgrown beautiful mess of daylilies, (earlier in the year) irises, and amaryllis with a row of cana lilies, day lilies and 4 o'clock in the background.
20190628_100826.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts