Pie!!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh I can just picture that little old lady! Too funny!

Annabellam

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Give me pies any time! The photos are to die for. Should make some pies soon as well. Thanks;)

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i have also had a couple of bear encounters in my travels. on one hiking adventure in the mountains, we happily tripped around a bend in the trail, and sitting right in the middle of the trail, not 50 feet away was this beautiful black bear. "what's the protocol here?" i ask. to which my much wiser son replied: " very quietly and very slowly back up".
his mother didn't get that report, either...:eek:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We were hiking in Yosemite once, when the bushes to the right of us rustled and out popped a bear, not 5 feet away! Luckily, he was was surprised as us, and skedaddled back the way he came.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Bears? Good heavens I will die, I will… @chefsdreams your protocol reminded me of something funny now. Years ago we went on school trips out into the "veld". My brother told me they were warned against snakes and the teacher was asked what to do if they come across one. He replied and told them to take a step either to the left, or the right, then a step or two backwards, before turning around and making a run for it. One of the kids asked why the step to the side first and he responded: "If you take a step back, you're going to step in your own crap!"

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
@sumi Hah, Hah! too funny. . . because it's true. trust me :(
can i ask: 'where is the 'veld'?

chefsdreams

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i seem to have drawn us way off topic here. could we please go back to talking about pies? preferably blackberry? and ice cream? preferably home made? :drool :drool :drool

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@sumi Hah, Hah! too funny. . . because it's true. trust me :(
can i ask: 'where is the 'veld'?
The "veld" is (this explains it better than I can)
  1. open, uncultivated country or grassland in southern Africa. It is conventionally divided by altitude into highveld, middleveld, and lowveld.