Pink eye?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
This is raw honey. My eyes are just a little pink, and I have almost no pain.

I'm on another forum that I'm getting more and more disgusted with. I shocked many of them by stating that I put neosporin in my eyes. I think they're sure I'm going to go blind. But, I did some research and have found this is actually fairly common in some areas, especially where doctors are few and far between and many people don't have insurance.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
really? strange that they are shocked...
I wouldn't do it, but then I have other things that I would much prefer to put into my eyes than neosporin. I'm also mildly allergic to neosporin, so I wouldn't do that anyway (if I use it for several days in a row it makes me itch, LOL. Found that out the hard way!). I have a product from Dynamite called Release that is good for eyes, and I am sure I could find an essential oil that would work well to fight off the infection that would be safe to put on eyes.
The honey sounds great, though! I am glad to know it worked! How did you apply it? Compress? or literally splash it in your eyes? I guess you could get a little mister bottle and put the honey mixture in it. I think that would be my best hope of getting it into my eyes directly :p

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm using a pipette. You can also use an eye cup. And, you can also just get some honey and put it right in your eye. If I had known that, I would have done that instead of the neosporin, but you use what you have.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
This is raw honey. My eyes are just a little pink, and I have almost no pain.

I'm on another forum that I'm getting more and more disgusted with. I shocked many of them by stating that I put neosporin in my eyes. I think they're sure I'm going to go blind. But, I did some research and have found this is actually fairly common in some areas, especially where doctors are few and far between and many people don't have insurance.
Former pediatric nurse here ... and perhaps things have changed in the 13 years since I retired ... but, back then, the standard for pink eye was Neosporin ophthalmic ointment. My doctor often told his patients' mothers that they could use regular Neosporin IF they were sure that it had never been contaminated - that is, use a new tube, and don't touch the tip to anything, including your fingertip as you press a bit out of the tube onto the finger. The only difference, he said, was that the ophthalmic stuff had been purified an extra step. (He also wasn't against using a tiny bit of whiskey rubbed on the baby's gum to alleviate teething pains; I loved my doctor - he had modern medical knowledge, but was willing to use the old ways if they worked, and did no harm)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
This was one of those little travel packs. It was all the neo we had in the house.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
So am I. I've read up some on it once I was able to read a bit better and apparently this is a common practice still in parts where people don't have the money for doctor's visits, nor insurance for a prescription. So, I'm ignoring all of them. This is a forum I've been on for years and everyone's supposed to be my friend, but I'm wondering how many will remember my operation if I don't post when I have it.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes...haven't had insurance since 2001 and home remedies are a must where I live. It's just not so simple to run to the doc when you know you are going to pay $60 for the same thing you could have found in your own cabinets.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I'm bad. This is the reply I just posted on the other forum.

Actually, neosporin is the standard treatment for pink eye in many areas of the country where people cannot afford either a doctor visit, nor a prescription. Plus, there is also neosporin opth, which is a prescription strength of neosporin for pink eye. The only difference in the meds? In regular neosporin, polymyxin B has 5,000 units. In the prescription strength, it has 10,000 units. Other than that, the meds are the same. I couldn't find out about the inactive ingredients-they weren't listed for the neo opth.

Mine wasn't viral, but bacterial. I only had a small tube of neo to go and started using it Monday morning. By Monday afternoon, the nasty looking discharge had stopped and I could open both eyes. (I couldn't on Sunday.) I did 3 doses on Monday, and used the rest on Tuesday morning.

On Monday, I looked like I had been in a fight. Both eyes were puffy, red and tearing as well as having a discharge. I was sensitive to light, and they hurt like heck. As of today, I have some residual pink, and just a little bit of pain and sensitivity. Today for the first time all week I was able to do the things I needed to do.

Believe me, B4 I tried the neo, I checked it out the best I could. And, if you think using neo was bad, you should see some of the other things that people use. Some make sense, like breast milk and raw honey. Both are full of antibiotics. And, if I had found out about the raw honey first, I would have used it since I do have that. Breast milk, well, I'm outta luck there. But, people also use vodka, urine, lemon juice and I don't recall everything else.