Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well its kinda chilly and dame here in tn tonight...

but...
its not snowing!

thats right folks..my parents have snow, just a dusting but still, supposed ot be cold and possible snow all through the weekend...in the mean time, chlly and dame today and tomorrow then climbing back into the 60's for the weekend!

why did i leave ct again...

OH YEAH! thats right :p (im only mildly kidding it was only 1 of the reasons lol)

ok, done gloating...think im gonna log off for the night, eat some grapes and watch some TV.
dont think im doing anything tomorrow, but we'll see.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good to see your settling in. I didn't realize parrots were so fun.

I was wondering if you have started thinking about plans for your little homestead??

Did you say goats in the spring??

G

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yes lots of plans.

ive got 2 doeslings on reserve at a farm not far from my house that specializes in spotted nubians with milking stars on all her girls so thats super exciting.
thats the big early spring project is getting an area set up with fencing and some kind of small shelter for them.
im planning on building either some simple 3 sided thing with a door on front that i can eventualy use for the sheep, or try and build (or find) a nice used larger shed....i plan on eventually having 4 milking does.
im also planning on adding chickens and guinnes in early spring too.
id like a small flock of guinnes to free range during the day and pick off all the ticks they can find....probably a dozen
and then in terms of chickens, eventually id like quite a few, but to start in thinking a a small flock (1/2 doz) of brown leghorns...eventually i want speckled sussex, ee's and favrolles too! for my "colored basket" but i figure 1/2 a dozen leghorns should provide me with enough personal eggs for me, and the pets :D
im also hoping to do 25 meaties in early spring.

then as the time progresses im hoping to add meat rabbits, quail, muscovies and a pair of geese, possibly some runner ducks too.
Shetland sheep and a glostershire old spot pig will also come eventually.
and thats just the critters! lol

i cant afford to brushhog the property though right now so im thinking i need ot figure out a simple movable fence/shelter set up and let the goats do as much of the work possible for me.

add to the list expanding the dogs fenced in area, a small veggie patch in the spring, and the start of both a fruit and a berry orchard :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Do you have an area for your orchard planned? Is that the "brush hog" part? I know its late in the season but could you still put in a couple fruit trees. It's the perfect time for bare root here. Not sure there.

How about adding some straw or compost/ manure to the area you plan to garden? Then you can let it sit all winter.

Jut thinking.

g

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the orchard is definatly currently planned for an area that needs "hoggin" lol!

Veggie patch will probably try and get something started with but funds are tight right now with the move and setting up all the utilities and stuff, everyone likes those deposits, still need to get my car registered and my tn license and get the insurance on that before i can do anythign else in terms of "spending money", right now its still reg and insured under my dad and i cant keep doing that for long especially given the cost of insurance in CT lol.
and getting the gas turned on is the other "next expense" because they to want a deposit. its always the way lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well just got a call form the gas company, gas is on at my house...i have to go into henderson and pay the deposit (which is only $25 aparently (i was origionally told it was $125 which was why i was waiting) but i just turned the heater on, monoxide dtetector wasnt happy about bleeding the line for a few seconds ( but now its lit and running the detector is much happier...lets hope it stays that way. gonna give it an hour or so then head out to Henderson to pay them so they dont come shut me off...figure that should be long enough to take the chill off the place and be sure that the detector isnt going to start having a hissy fit about the situation. Ive never delt with a gas heater before, gas itself yes, but these on the wall heaters are new to me, we had gas fired hot water heating in the uk and a gas open fire place, this is a vent free wall mount heater so itll take me a little bit to "trust" it lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today i proved i can be taught lol

i bought to lovely little peices of steak wrapped in bacon for dinners...they were on sale and just looks lovely so yeah...
wel last night cooke up one and while it was absolutly DELICIOUS...trying to cut steak with a plastic knife is not hapening...i ended up digging in with my fingers :D

so tonight i make myself the second peice...and i was smart and cut it up into bite sized peices first...this had not only the bonus of no steak vs pastic round 2, but also made it much quicker for the cooking process (i like my meat medium rare lol)

had it with rice...it was delicious!

and tomorows plan is spinach and artichoke stuffed chicken breast with sweet potatoe "fries" (oven baked in olive oil salt pepper and a little garlic)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well today i was reminded exactly why SOUTH was the direction i wanted to head.

got a call form the parents this morning..., weather is saying upwards of 4" toady and another 4-8" potentially a little more over night...mum said though at 11:30 there was already a good 3" on the ground...
yup CT is getting its first snow of the year. mums NOT happy lol...

and here i am...sat in my livingroom with the front door open sunlight streaming through the storm door, blue sky peeping through the trees outside my window, and a sweet fall breeze.