Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a "pond" in my back yard. And, rather than spending the money on koi, I just got a bunch of feeder goldfish and dumped them in there. Right now, there is nothing running in the pond, and hasn't been for a couple of years. Other than try and keep the leaves down, I do nothing to the pond. Last 2 winters were horrible between the snow and the temps. And, not only did they survive, they're thriving and reproducing. When I was doing everything "right", I couldn't keep them alive. So, that might be one option for you.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i just wory about standing water and amonia build up in anything of a managable size for me...
But im thinking given this area is so bright and sunny mabe i can go with some kind of small solar set up to run the pond. just basic filtration/water movment.

ive definatly ruled out discus...i love them but the price is just not going to work lol...

so its either ryunkins indoors and no outside water feature...
OR
an angelfish tank inside and a small ryunkin pond outside :D

(im likeing option 2 lol)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have any advice on the options, but I can recommend a great pet store to acquire your fish from. It's called Pet's cove, in Savannah. They're great, and very helpful folks. They will and can order anything you may need, and can probably offer some advice as well.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've always wanted a small pond feature with goldfish in it. DH says absolutely not. :(

Seems like it would be a peaceful meditation-type spot, but he swears they wouldn't make it through the winter here :rolleyes:

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
goldfish are members of the carp family, they can survive in literally freezing water as long as the water doesnt freeze solid top to bottom...a livestock tank de-icer or pond heater will keep an opening in the pond for O2 exchange, the key would be making sure the pond is deep enough to not turn into a solid icecube, at least 1sqft of the pond should be a minimum of 4ft deep in michigan to prevent complete freezing. (and a mimimum of 10 gals per goldfish and 25 gals per Koi)

i LOVE having some kind of water feature, the sound is incredibly relaxing and watching the fish swim is a serious de-stresor.

im thinking about making a glass front pond when i build mine, about 3 ft deep out of railroad ties and a pond liner and a peice of plexi glass and obviously silacone. i like the idea of being able to watch them from above and while under the water too like a fish tank :) hoping to go about 150 gals with 5 ryunkin and 5 shubunkin (my 2 fave types of goldies)
ive found a number of small solar powerd pumps that could easily run a small fountain for watermovment and sound...and i figure if i can do iris and a couple of water lilly and a peat ball it should be enough passive bio filtration to keep that stocking level healthy :)

i dont think i could be wothout my fish for very long...they are medicinal LOL

WBF...gonna see if i can find their address, would definatly prefer to support a smaller local business with good service than petco or petsmart :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pet's Cove is in the book. I can't recall the name of the street, but it's over close to the DMV, just on the other side of Jackson State Community College. Go around the side of that building, and it's I think the second or third door down. The DMV is on the backside of the building.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
coolness!

in other news, after skyping with the parental units...
(their power came back on at aproximatly 11:30pm their time)

skype works perfectly on this internet connection...
which means...
i can cancel the home phone service! yay. with taxes and fees that they dont tell you about when you sign up its $27 a month for LOCAL calling, which means mcnairy county only...so thats selmer and anything in henderson or jackson (the 2 other places i call regularly) are considered "long distance"...
and i have enough mins on my cellphone that i realy dont need the housephone for basic calling and such...so bye bye house phone, that $27 a month can be put aside.

right now the plan would be to use that extra money to pay off the credit card which has my 1200 in moving expenses on...once the card is compeltly paid off ill then put that extra $ either into a "home emergencies" savings account, or tack it onto my mortgage...the latter would save me about $10K in the long run and havemy mortgage paid off in 22 yrs rather than 30...thats a big saving when you come to think about it for a mear $25 or so a month...

trying to cut down where i can and i needed the home phone when i couldnt get the internet, but now ive got the high speed internet...i have skype which is completly free! so why spend on a home phone il use mabe once a week.

on that note im also realy debating signing up for the "local" sunday paper...
i do clip coupons im just wondering if $2 a week is worth it for bird cage liner and a handfull of coupons...
I certinaly dont need a dialy paper cause honestly i read the classifieds and sometimes the local goings on...but i mostly use the paper to put on the floor of the birdcages and for coupons which come in the sunday paper...mabe $8 a month is worth it...i dunno. thoughts?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Some places will let you subscribe to just the Sunday paper, if that's all you want. They figure a little money is better than none.

fixed typo

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe you could ask your neighbors that get the paper if you could have theirs when they're done w/it-especially if they don't clip. Be truthful w/them, tell them you want it for bird cages and coupons. They just might be willing to let you have it for free.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ditto Dragonlaurel and Denim Deb--back when I was a university student I only got the weekend paper, and I'm sure your neighbors will be only to happy to help you line your birdcage/find a few coupons :)