Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moving is tough, I've done it far too many times in my life--I wish you all the best and a super smooth move.

pinkfox said:
i realy want to grow peonies, i LOVE peonies, we have 1 here and shes only a year old and does ok, and ive seen many peonies in this area that flower and look ok...but compared to what ive seen growing down south,
ours look almost sickly, they dont get nearly as big or full...there always tall and lanky and while i know almost all peonies have to be steaked when floweinrg ours need to be steaked 23/7 lol especially after a rain...they just flop :(
I live in zone 3/4 and our peonies (both single and double-flowered) do really well. They're actually quite common here on old prairie farmsteads that are zone 2/3--they've survived for decades after the homesteads were abandoned as farms got amalgamated into larger grain farms.

Peonies love sun, need support as you've noted (ours grow up inside wire "peony rings" rather than us staking them), are picky about how deeply the crown is planted, they don't like to be moved or divided (although they'll bounce back after division), and they seem to thrive in our heavy clay soil although they prefer to be well-drained (don't like wet feet).

We don't mulch, but neither do we clean up the leaves that blow into the flower beds if you know what I mean ;) We also leave the dead tops on all our perennials for the birds till we do spring clean-up (which also provides new plants from the plants that self-seed).

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well tonights my going away gathering...
30 people initially said they were comming...(not including family)
as of right now...only 2 people (other than family) are actually comming.
dont i feel special lol.

im hoping the weather behaves so we can light the fire a little later, been raining on and off all day, id jus tlike a few hours please weather...

in other news, 2nd b12 shot today, another on monday and truck booked for tuesday.
need to go get bloodwork done the week of the 19th, and then the script is aparently to get a series of 3 more b 12 shots in 3 months...she knows ill be in TN so shell probbaly have to send me with a script.

after that we'll decide wether my levels have blanaced out or if were going to be perscribing me monthly b12 shots.

i also saw my PCP today about my back. he too thinks its muscular (and could feel the knott in the muscle) and im not showing any symptoms of a kidney issue (the other likely possibliity for the pain given the area) so hes said advil as needed for the pain and a course of Physical therapy to see if thatll help, obviously since ill be in TN as of next week, he said i can take that perscription anywhere it will convey even in another state.
once i find a primary care dr they can fax all my records over, too.
need to find a bariatrics center (or at least a dr familiar with the bypass)
need a phsych too
and now i need to add find Phyrical therapist to the list lol.

busy busy busy.

tomorrow im out with momma to find a new chest freezer for them...
im taking theirs as long as their bigger one arrives in time.

got a few more things to pack (like my wii and wii fit lol) and find a box for my tv.
but otherwise im almsot done with packing.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hey PF! It's nice to see someone else going through similar things I am at the same time! :) At least you know what your house looks like! :rolleyes: I'm still waiting for pictures from the people who manage the "manufactured home community" that we are moving into! :D

As far as the IKEA goes, isn't it great?!!? They finally built one here in Colorado, and I've only been to it once, but we bought our bookcases for the new place there! Plus a couple small things. We were supposed to go back this past weekend, but didn't make it. It's awesome to have the furniture in such small compact boxes, it makes it easy for storage and easy to move! Heavy as all get out though! We bought SO's grandfather's washer and dryer since they are both electric and the hookups are electric in the new house. I'm finding it hard to figure out what to pack when, simply because we don't pack the truck until the 10th! But, I need to go do some of it now :)

As to the computer issue, bummer that it's failing but you got more years out of your laptop then I ever have out of any of mine! I tend to be really really hard on mine :) This one I have now I have to buy a new battery for because it no longer works :rolleyes: So, I think I am just going to invest in a second tower instead. And then maybe get an iPAD or something similar to use for on the go.

:hugs good luck at the going away tonight! No matter if two or twenty show up, just enjoy the ones that do! :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks colo, i agree, it snice ot know im not the only one going through this all...its insanity...
but i love ikea for moving, as long as its not all put together yet...they are great, but once its built it tends to need alot of extra protection in a move to stop it from shifting and such.

if there was an ikea closer to my house, id be using them to redo the entire kitchen when its time, but the losest one is in GA a good 6 1/2 hours away lol.
wonder if you could fit an entire kitchen remodel form ikea in the back of a jeep...hmmm lol...

tonight was a combination of a little depressing, eye opening and realy nice all at once.
only 2 people (and their kid) showed up, but we sat outside most of the night despite the boughts of rain, and managed to get the fire lit thanks to my dad lol, and even though it was increidbly quiet, it was nice to not feel crowded or pushed around.
was a little depressing when 30 people tell you there comming and pretty much all cancel last minute, eye opening whe you found out about 1/2 of the people that canceled, who many were the ones that suggested weds in the first place, had other plans and you find out those "other plans" are kareoke and drinking... and about 1/2 of the remainding people just changed their minds and the rest forgot...

*shrugs*
the people that did come made it a lovely night though, and if nothing else it was nice to sit around the fire and chill all evening!

tomorrow is a busy day of new freezer hunting for the parents...
friday is pretty much finnishing the things i dont need right now packing, im also going to move the linnies into the small cage and scrub down and put their cage aside.
saturday is my "friends" wedding and party
sunday is pick up last mnute things and pack all the things ill noticed i forgot and get an accurate inventory to make sure my moving quote is as accurate as possible
monday is drs apointment, and put the large stuff in (or neer) the garage and make sure everything is together.
and tuesday should be truck day.

talked to my agent today too, she stopped by the house, checked it over for me, peeked in through the windows and everythign looks just fine.
she said she goes by once a week and will head on down again next weds to check on her for me again, and if im delayed for any reason let her know and shell continue checking the house.
i got very lucky with this agent! shes wonderfull...shes already been payed...how many folks can say their agent did this for free after the job was completed...she has no reason to do this for me beyond the goodness of her heart!

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
You are special- :cool: :hugs - but some of your old acquaintances do seem too self absorbed to know it. It's their loss.

You might check if there is a support group there for people with bariatric or similar surgeries. People in it would know the best docs for that situation.

Good luck with the chest freezer. Sounds like things are really coming together for the move.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:hugs Really makes you wonder about people sometimes. I know when my son was little, he invited his whole class for a birthday party. Not one of them came. Only one even bothered to let him know they couldn't make it, but they did send a gift. Next year, he had pony rides (this was B4 we had horses), and almost every one came.

Good luck w/the move.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pinkfox said:
thanks colo, i agree, it snice ot know im not the only one going through this all...its insanity...
but i love ikea for moving, as long as its not all put together yet...they are great, but once its built it tends to need alot of extra protection in a move to stop it from shifting and such.

if there was an ikea closer to my house, id be using them to redo the entire kitchen when its time, but the losest one is in GA a good 6 1/2 hours away lol.
wonder if you could fit an entire kitchen remodel form ikea in the back of a jeep...hmmm lol...
I don't think you could fit it in the back of a jeep, but I believe they deliver :D I agree about leaving it packed until you get there. My plan is to tape the little tool that comes with the furniture and the instructions to the back of each piece. This way, when we move again we can just de-construct it, pack it up, move it, and re-construct it in the new place :) We already know the house we are moving to isn't our forever home. We will just be happy if it is nice enough to last us until he gets his next store! I think our closest IKEA is in chicago, which will be 8 hours away, and we've already made plans to go to chicago to visit using the train, spend a day or so there, visit IKEA and purchase something, and bring it home on the train :D It was hard enough driving in the Saturn ION with the two bookcases roughly 45miles! I've already decided that whatever home we decide is our forever home, whether we are buying or building, I want IKEA to do the furnishings :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
its a little too mod for me as an overall, but accent peices they have some lovely stuff :D

in good news...today was a "big shopping" day for momma...
they have been looking for a BIG chest freezer for the garage (ill be taking the 8 cuft one) and after much searching with no luck today she decied to buy the 15cuft from lowes...its very nice, should be more than big enough for all thier stuff and its comming saturday morning which means we have sunday and monday to defrost the smaller one before pick up on tuesday lol.

she also bought me my matress, as i mentione dmy sister took mine that i bought, so they replaced mine rather than buying her one...
and i must admit weve been procrastinating on this one.
found one today though through sleepies its a $1100 matress...they had 1 mismatched clearance queen matress left in stock for...*drum roll* $384 after taxes!
so thats paid for and dads gonna go pick it up tonight. WOOT. ive laid on my fair share of matresses over the past month or so...but this one is realy nice, its also duel sided, 1/2 is "firm" and the other 1/2 is plush, which given its only me and the way my back is works out prefectly because if i need a firmer side for my back i simply roll onto the other half WOOT!

i also picked up an ironing board, it hooks onto the back of a door and flattens up when not in use, but when needed just fold the board down, lift the support and tada, its a full sized board too. and mum bought me a little iron. i dont do alot of ironing, so i didnt want enything expensive or that would take up alot of space so this works out perfectly and it was from goodwil so cheap! yay!

got to pack up my wii, picked up a roll of bubblewrap for the tv, and need to clean out the 55 gallon and 7 gallon tanks, other than that i htink im good to go.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well oday i scrubbed the 7 gallon minibow tank, that will be phish the bettas new home. im not yet sure if ill divide it and buy a 2nd betta or if ill turn it into a betta friendly community tank with a coupld of zebra danios and some otto cats or corydora. (its a 7 gal mini bow with about 15 gals worth of low flow filtration because im weird like that LOL!)
i also scrubbed the 55 gallon tank and filters.
Ill need to buy a new heater for it once i get it situated (it hasnt had a heater and my other heater is too small)
i also need to take most of the deco out of the 30 gallon that the fish are currently with as thats comming with me...ill leave them a few pots to hide in for the next couple of weeks but im hoping to have them sent out before november.
that tank will house my blood parrots, a schoal of tiger barbs, a couple of skunk botia and a clown pleco...planning on adding more tigers, another skunk and a trio of yoyo's and about 6 rainbow fish :D
its gonna look muchly pretty and im sure gigantor will apreciate having a little more lenght to actually swimk in since hes not the most adept at sharp turns lol.

i also packed the clothes i wont be needing over the next week or so, washed the dogs bed and washed my comforter...

the linnies also got moved into the smaller cage.

so what ive got left to do:
break down and clean the linnie cage, tape everything together and put it and its stand in the garage
get my garb boxes out, sorted and taped shut.
flat pack the kitchen cabinates
move the window ac unit, 55 gal tank and stand and the genny to the garage for easy pick up...

on the morning of the move i have to pack jack jack into a crate and flat pack (and scrub the bottom) of his cage
clean out the litterbox completly
and pack my last minute stuff.

mum offered a potential option to make the travel down there potentially a bit easier...there talking about flying out the week after the truck gets there (to help unpack, put things up ect), and she mentioned the possibility of me leaving jasper and ruby here and they could take them in the cabin of the plane when they come.
it would mean getting a second airline aproved carrier (i have 1 for jasper, but would need one for ruby), it would mean they could only bring a case each (as the dogs would count as carry on) and theyd have to pay for the dogs to fly cabin. it would also mean calling the airlines to make sure it would be an option (some lines only alow 1 pet per "section" (or 2 total on small crafts) so wed have to check...
but it would mean less animals for me to wrestle with at the stops/hotel, give me a chance to get the 14 ft gate ordered and delivered for the carport block off and less stress for them traveling the distance via car.

the potential problem with this is added cost, and ill miss my babies untill they can get there to see me...
but it would definatly simplify things a little in terms fo the 18 hour drive down there...