Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
WOW that is awesome!!! Great work!
I need to message you.....

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow! Amazing loss!

My MIL had the surgery 3 years ago (doing really great), friend had it 2 1/2 years ago (doing great) and SIL had it 2 1/2 years ago (isn't doing well at all, but it's due to extenuating circumstances). I find it quite exciting and wonderful - my MIL went from someone who could hardly move and struggled to breathe, to an active and athletic Grama!

Hope you can get the vitamin and mineral imbalance worked out soon!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thanks :D me too. id rather not have to jab myself once a month because my body hates to retain B12... lol

in other news...what can i do with LOTS and LOTS of pine needles?!
i was thinking baout it and much of the front and back lawns at my new house are covered in a good few months worth of dropped pine needles...

i want to put n flower beds and was thinking about using them as mulch but i worry about them changing the acidity levels and killing everyhting but acid loving plantings...
is it a valid concern?! what about feeding them to the goats would goats eat dropped/dried pine needles?! i know they like fresh pine needles and theres evidence to say that pine needles can be a atural dewormer...but what about dropped/dried ones?
i knwo i cna compost them too, but again worry about them messing too muhc with the acidity levels.

thoughts?!

i know ive got a bunch of old oaks which ill definatly be collecting any acorns the goats dont get to for my eventual piggy too!
im hoping to use as much of whats on the property as i can... and ive deinfalty got pine needles a plenty lol.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pine needles are excellent mulch. I've never had a problem with the acidity levels - they are very slow to break down. I don't use them in the veggie garden for that reason, but they are excellent for everything else. If you want to compost them, it's best to chop them up first.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you have pine and oaks, then the soil is already going to be acidic. That's basically all I have here, and I've used them on my garden w/no problem. You just might need to add some lime at times to balance the pH. I have heard of people using pine needles in their chicken coop.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thats good to know...i didnt know if simpy growing there would make the soil acidic, im sure it wont be too much of a problem, just make any hydrangeas planted turn colors lol...

oh i also makde the mistake of finding out you can make pine needle baskets...ya know...cause i need a new hobby to add to the list. between cheese, soap, lotion, spinning and painting...lol
i definatly like the idea of free mulch though :D

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great minds think alike lol.
i think ill probbaly have enough to do everything with the dang things, thers 3 HUGE pines 2 out back and one out front that are lord knows how old...there huge!

well today the packing started, im not using big boxes as there too hard for me to manouver alone, but im getting there...infact probably a little too quickly, if this pace keeps ill be done by wednesday and then have nothing to do for the next week and a half lol.
as of right now if things keep pace im hoping to book the truck for the 4th or 5th (origionally planning the monday after that) im realy hoping i can do it the sooner though :D

as of right now, the kitchen is mostly packed, i figure thats the easiest one to do as i have use of the family kitchen in the main house, so right now i still need to pack up my toaster oven and put the microwave with me "comming" stuff. theres some open packs of food, and some cleaning supplies that will go in the "last minute" box if there still left over on move morning. the cat food and some treats are left out as ill need those untill move day too.

all my craft stuff is boxed up and ready to go...infact i have more craft stuff than other stuff lol.

need to trash whats left in the cabinates and scrub them down as they are comming with me too...they should fit in the truck fully assembled so im not going to bother breaking them down, but theres nowehre in the garage to put them so theyll have to wait where they are untill moving morning and ill just have dad help me put them in the drive the morning the truck is due.

trying to decide now if i should start the livingroom, bathroom or bedroom next.
probably the bathroom and just leave out the needed stuff...
but quite honestly...theres not that much left to pack

as a side note...my macaw is wearing his pastic cup as a hat standing on one leg telling me all about his day in jibberish birdy talk...
hes not freeking out about all the change yet...lol

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Best of luck getting the b-12 issue under control.

As for pine needles...how do you feel about blueberries and azalias? :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Best of luck getting the b-12 issue under control.

As for pine needles...how do you feel about blueberries and azalias? :D
Not to mention buttercups, irises, roses, stonecrop, blackberries(really most berries) and gladiolas :D And those are just the ones I KNOW grow well here ;)