Pj homestead

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the plastic 3 gallon and 5 gallon waterers. I use 60w and 100w bulbs. The 100w is better for the colder nights. Last couple of years our average winter temp has been -10deg Celsius to -15deg Celsius. The windchill could be much colder. I just ordered a thermocube to use with them.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a smart idea! When I build my permanent coop, it will be close to the sheep barn and I’ll have electricity run to it. Then I can use that brilliant idea for the one or two weeks out of the year that everything freezes. LOL

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I just found out that I'm going to have a new neighbor. My brother just bought some land across the road from me and is hoping to start building next summer. He is planning on using it as a summer home. I wonder if I can get him into homesteading he calls my place the funny farm lol.

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is a smart idea! When I build my permanent coop, it will be close to the sheep barn and I’ll have electricity run to it. Then I can use that brilliant idea for the one or two weeks out of the year that everything freezes. LOL
The important thing with this setup is something to cover the opening in the cinderblocks to keep the bulb dry. 1 drop or water will blow a hot bulb. I'm using some leftover cement board but a peice of tin or just about anything else would work

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your sheep -- are they being raised for meat? Or maybe lambs for meat? I like lamb, which is expensive here. Always tempted when Spring lambs run the action to get 2 just to feed and send to butcher. But, one ready would be a better choice for me. Just buy, transport and pick up ready to cook. Then I won't get attached. LOL

Actually know someone who raises and may contact him. At least I know how they are fed, handled and would be a good choice.

Are the turkeys being harvested soon? I remember you said some were to be "gifts". Hey, your brother could be converted!! You know that this lifestyle can be attractive once you get started.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I just found out that I'm going to have a new neighbor. My brother just bought some land across the road from me and is hoping to start building next summer. He is planning on using it as a summer home. I wonder if I can get him into homesteading he calls my place the funny farm lol.

we call our place the funny farm too, but probably for different reasons. :)

Pjhomestead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your sheep -- are they being raised for meat? Or maybe lambs for meat? I like lamb, which is expensive here. Always tempted when Spring lambs run the action to get 2 just to feed and send to butcher. But, one ready would be a better choice for me. Just buy, transport and pick up ready to cook. Then I won't get attached. LOL

Actually know someone who raises and may contact him. At least I know how they are fed, handled and would be a good choice.

Are the turkeys being harvested soon? I remember you said some were to be "gifts". Hey, your brother could be converted!! You know that this lifestyle can be attractive once you get started.
The sheep all depends on who you ask. My wife will keep everything as pets lol
These 2 will be kept and bonnie will be breed next year. Any females will be kept and if I have my way any males will be raised for meat or sold.
The turkeys will be harvested the 2nd week of December. Some will be gifts some will be for us and the rest will be sold to cover the cost of raising them.